cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Xilinx Vivado support for older FPGA generation

While reading about the new Vivado design suite I'm under the impression that older FPGA generations (ex: Spartan 3) won't be supported: Anybody has more details? Thanks.

18 Replies
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

Re: Xilinx Vivado support for older FPGA generation

Anybody has more details?

If there are further disclosures to be made through authorised channels, the user forums is not a likely venue for such information releases.  I'm sure that Xilinx employees are keenly aware that unauthorised disclosures are discouraged.

Alpha- and Beta-site customers are bound by non-disclosure agreements, and are not likely to compromise their relationshp with a valued supplier such as Xilinx.

Have you considered looking here for more details?

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

From the linked page:
"Support for Xilinx 7 series FPGAs and Zynq™ Extensible Processing Platform (EPP)"

So my guess (and it can only be a guess) is no planned support for anything old, like Spartan-3/6 and Virtex-4/5/6.

------------------------------------------
"If it don't work in simulation, it won't work on the board."
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

If there are further disclosures to be made through authorised channels, the user forums is not a likely venue for such information releases.  I'm sure that Xilinx employees are keenly aware that unauthorised disclosures are discouraged.

Alpha- and Beta-site customers are bound by non-disclosure agreements, and are not likely to compromise their relationshp with a valued supplier such as Xilinx.

Have you considered looking here for more details?

Yep just looked here (I don't think it was there yesterday). Still I can't find the info although the white paper is pretty interesting thanks.

I'm not sure why Xilinx would classify the list of supported device as sensitive information at his stage. I understand that they might not want to commit themselves to support a given generation during early development but the product is pretty much released now. Anyway I'm sure the info will pop-up sooner than later.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Instructor
Instructor

I'm not sure why Xilinx would classify the list of supported device as sensitive information at his stage.

Unless the final list has not yet been settled.

I understand that they might not want to commit themselves to support a given generation during early development but the product is pretty much released now.

The first software release is not always fully representative of the subsequent releases -- but you already know this.

Anyway I'm sure the info will pop-up sooner than later.

All details are "final" until they change.  Some are more final than others.  This is normal for this business.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Vivado Design Suite will support 7 series FPGAs and the Zynq Extensible Processing Platform only.  (well, these and future architectures, of course)  Vivado will not support any earlier device families (Virtex-6, Spartan-6 and older); users must use ISE Design Suite for these architectures.

I will send a note to the marketing group to ensure this information is clarified in our collateral.  Thanks for the feedback.

Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I hope they do add support, at least for Virtex 6 and Spartan 6. I find it funny that these devices are now considered "old". Series 7 has not been out long at all. In fact I wanted to use it in my new design, but the parts weren't available until early 2012, and that was just early devices, not all. Now, just some months later, nothing before that is supported. I think that leaves a lot of customers wanting...

Regards,

Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

+1 for adding support for Virtex 6/Spartan 6.  

Especially given the fact that there are no Spartan 6 density/price/performance equivalent parts in the Artix lineup (<100,000 logic cells).   I'm sure at some point here the number of I/Os limit the packaging size as opposed to the size of die/number of logic cells.  Perhaps for the 9,000-75,000 logic cell density moving from 45nm to 28nm doesn't produce any benefit? Those using the relatively new Spartan 6 are feeling a bit left out in the cold on this Vivado transition thing especially looking into the future.  I imagine that ISE will eventually become history and we could be left holding the bag?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Xilinx has always continued to support families that are not part of the latest version through free downloads see:

http://www.xilinx.com/webpack/classics/wpclassic/

------Have you tried typing your question into Google? If not you should before posting.
Too many results? Try adding site:www.xilinx.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

I'm also seeing other issues that this can cause. We are using Virtex 5, Virtex 6, Spartan 6, and now Zynq parts (I guess we are good Xilinx customers?). I needed to debug two designs that will work together, the Zynq and the Spartan-6 but having issues trying to use the Vivado Logic Analyzer (much much better than Chipscope, thank god!) but with Chipscope on the other side on Spartan-6. If Vivado supported both families this wouldn't be a problem.

In this specific case, I believe there is a way to get this working? But the point is, this cause old/new tool interaction problems. I hope they are reconsidering supporting Virtex-6 and Spartan-6 (at least).

Virtex-6 and Spartan-6 were only launched in 2009. Vivado was launched in 2012, yet, it doesn't support these parts.

Dan

0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

After the disclosure that Xilinx will be ending the life of ISE, (http://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools.html), how in the future are people with older chips to do the builds? We have always tried to keep up with the latest Xilinx releases, and I now need to test a microblaze on a spartan 6, and I can't do it, unless I go back to EDK. (Appologies if this has been answered later in the post). Phill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Not sure I completely understand the question... Vivado supports 7 series, Zynq and beyond only. For older architecture you can download ISE builds. Ed Mcg had already provided the link in an earlier post of the location where the older ISE builds are still available. 

What is the specific concern here?

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi

So which design tool should I use on Windows 8 for Spartan 6?

The ISE builds doesn't work! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Windows 8.1 was launched after the final release of ISE, so there is no support for Windows 8 with ISE.

This leaves you with 3 options:

1. Try to get hold of Windows 7 and install it on that machine

2. Use Windows 7 via a Virtual Machine. 

3. Use RedHat Linux

Majority of the customers are leaning more towards option 2. 

This will be the case when Microsoft decides to release their next OS variant as well. 

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @ceda 

Even though windows 8 was not supported with ISE tools.

Few customers made it work, see this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPbEcNjdo8

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks

I had to replace all other duplicates of libPortability.dll that were scattered around in various directories with libPortabilityNOSH.dll but finally got it working as far as I know.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Duth,

My concern wasn't that I can't currently do a Spartan 6 build. It was that the Support for ISE is to be ceased.

Say I discover a bug in the tool for a specific device prior to the 7 series, what then.

Xilinx always reccommend that I use the latest version of software for the best timing/speed of builds, bug fixes, security etc. How then is this applicable if support for the older devices stop?

Not a major problem for me at the moment as I can still build what i want, but this may not be the same for others.

I guess that I was having a bad day and seeing that Xilinx are selling new Spartan 6's with old unsupported software is not the right thing to do, unless I am missing something.

Regards

Phill

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Phill,

Thanks for the further clarification!

Spartan-6 has been in production for some time now and any sort of changes we have to make for the speedfiles means that we will need to release a customer change notification. This is why there should be no new development from the device support standpoint needed.

Regarding support, you can always get support on ISE. We are not discontinuing support for ISE, all we are doing is not updating the tools anymore. In a way this ensures the highest stability as well as the code base is frozen. For any issues you find in your development process, we will be either providing a workaround or patches as needed, so you dont need to worry about lack of support.

Now the only drawback is that ISE will not work on the newer Windows OS such as windows 8.1, although our recommendation for that is to use virtual machines with Windows 7. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Duth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi Duth,

Thanks for your clarification. That all seems fine. Our build machines include Windows 7 which isn't connected to the internet so we don't have to worry about security issues, probably! We also have a new linux machine arriving soon so that would be fine also.

Thanks for your replys.

Regards

Phill

0 Kudos