UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

after 'setup debug', do I need to run synthesis again?

Jump to solution

Vivado 2015.4

• I've marked some nets in my Zynq bd for debug
  • then I launch synthesis
  • upon completion I launch 'setup debug'
  • when I complete the setup debug dialog, they synthesized design shows an 'asterix' (*), to indicate that it has been modified.
  • Then I cllose the synthesized design, upon which it asks to save the modifications
  • I answer 'yes' -> it adds constraints for the new ILA to the target .xdc file
  • When done, the upper right corner of Vivado says 'synthesis complete'

Q : Can i just click 'run implementation' (or even 'generate bitstream') from this point, or do I need to run synthesis again to 'incorporate' the new constraints concerning the created ILA?  Or is the ILA not handled by the synthesis engine, and is it a task for the implementation engini?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: after 'setup debug', do I need to run synthesis again?

Jump to solution

Hi @ronnywebers,

I agree to recommendations given in UG.

When you are using setup debug then tool will mark as synthesis complete even though the constraints are added to XDC. Say you are writing constraints to XDC regarding ILA then tool will take it as general constraints editing. In such scenario synthesis will go out of date then you can use force-up-date in such case.  

If you see the UG recommendation answers the pop-up which comes while saving the ILA constraints.

Conclusion- After adding ILA using setup debug you can straight away run implementation without resynthesizing the design. In order to verify if the ILA is inserted in netlist or not you can close and reopen the schematic and you will see ILA in netlist. 

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

Jump to solution

I've always just run implementation from that point, and it's always worked fine.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
The tool suggests to re-run the synthesis as the xdc was modified. You need not re-run the synthesis.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as "Accept as solution" if the information provided answers your query/resolves your issue.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hello, Check the note on page #102 from this UG http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_2/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf
Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Jump to solution

Hi @ronnywebers,

After saving the XDC file after inserting ILA no need to run synthesis again. You will get a pop-up similar to attached snapshot. You can close the synthesized design and open it again you will see the ILA inserted to the netlist. Generally synthesis won't go out of data after inserting ILA. In case it goes you can use Force up to date for synthesis.

Thanks,
Arpan

1.JPG
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

thanks all, 

@arpansur : I've checked the UG p 102 that @ashishd mentioned, and that says :

IMPORTANT: Saving constraints to the target constraints file while in project mode may cause the
synthesis and implementation steps to go out-of-date. However, you do not need to re-synthesize the
design since the debug XDC constraints are only used during implementation. 

however in your your answer @arpansur you wrote 'generally' ... so is there any exception thinkable to the quote from the UG above?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
Scholar pratham
Scholar

Jump to solution

@ronnywebers In any case you don't have to re-run synthesis again. Just force up-to date and tool would take care always.

-Pratham

Jump to solution

Hi @ronnywebers,

I agree to recommendations given in UG.

When you are using setup debug then tool will mark as synthesis complete even though the constraints are added to XDC. Say you are writing constraints to XDC regarding ILA then tool will take it as general constraints editing. In such scenario synthesis will go out of date then you can use force-up-date in such case.  

If you see the UG recommendation answers the pop-up which comes while saving the ILA constraints.

Conclusion- After adding ILA using setup debug you can straight away run implementation without resynthesizing the design. In order to verify if the ILA is inserted in netlist or not you can close and reopen the schematic and you will see ILA in netlist. 

Thanks,
Arpan

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Hi @ronnywebers,

Is your query addressed?

If so please close this thread by marking the appropriate answer as solution in the interest of other users.

Thanks,
Arpan

0 Kudos