Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nugentoffer
Contributor
Contributor

chipscope inserter

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a chipscope CDC file that I've created that I'd like to automatically insert using a windows batch script flow (xst->inserter->ngdbuild -> map -> par)

The following lines seems to run fine, but every once in awhile the execution would just stop unless I pressed a key at the windows terminal (it won't proceed onto the next ngdbuild step).

inserter.exe -insert ./chipscope/chipscope_proj.cdc -ngcbuild -intstyle xflow -sd .\ -dd .\ -i my_fpga_top.ngc my_fpga_top_chipscope.ngc

Terminal prompt display:

===

Generating core 2 of 2 ila_pro_0.ngc... >Gathering HDL files..... >Creating XST project... >Creating XST script file... >Creating XST instantation....

===

It appears the intstyle xflow option does not get applied when it starts XST up again for the chipscope inserter.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nugentoffer
Contributor
Contributor

So I did some more experimenting and it turns out this occurs for instances of the other flow tools as well, not just with inserter. (NGDBuild, MAP, PAR)

Not sure if it's a bug specific to my environment ( ISE 13.1 , Windows 7 x64) , but if you change your windows batch script to run in compatibility mode (XP SP3), the problem goes away.

Guess I'm going to have to retire the bird bird bird... which apparently is the word around here.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

You could always use the "Homer Simpson" approach:

Use a toy "drinking bird" to peck the Enter key, start the run and go home...

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/images/c/ce/Kingsizehomer.jpg

-- Gabor
Tags (1)
eteam00
Professor
Professor

You could always use the "Homer Simpson" approach:

Use a toy "drinking bird" to peck the Enter key, start the run and go home...

This is the best post I've read so far today.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

This is the best post I've read so far today.

Yeah, well that's why Engineers get paid the big bucks...  Thinking outside the box :-)

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
eteam00
Professor
Professor

Yeah, well that's why Engineers get paid the big bucks...  Thinking outside the box :-)

I'm an engineer, and my first thoughts are:

• Do we have to use the Big Bird model, or will the Pink Flamingo model work as a suitable sub?
  • What are the specs on the drinking bird, and has the 'drink' (or pushbutton rate) been calibrated to factory specs?
  • This bird is the one with anti-static feathers, right?
  • Is the drinking bird 32bit or 64bit, or does it make a difference?
  • Where do you plug in the bird's power brick, or is it battery powered?  How do you charge the bird?
  • Is the Monster Bird any better than a normal drinking bird, and is it worth 5x the price?
  • When the bird's feathers wear off, can you replenish them or do you have to go out and buy a new bird?
  • I bought the iBird model, but my keyboard complains it needs to be re-formatted.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
nugentoffer
Contributor
Contributor

So I did some more experimenting and it turns out this occurs for instances of the other flow tools as well, not just with inserter. (NGDBuild, MAP, PAR)

Not sure if it's a bug specific to my environment ( ISE 13.1 , Windows 7 x64) , but if you change your windows batch script to run in compatibility mode (XP SP3), the problem goes away.

Guess I'm going to have to retire the bird bird bird... which apparently is the word around here.

View solution in original post

gszakacs
Instructor
Instructor

So it appears that Windows 7 is still only on the fringe of OS support.  And since the "bug"

you found here isn't fatal (pressing a key keeps the process going) I wouldn't hold my breath

waiting for xilinx to fix it.

Anyway, glad to see you found a non-mechanical work-around.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos