UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

error : input pad net 'clk' is driving non-buffer primitives:

Jump to solution

hi

when I connect my clock signal to the chipscope for seeing the clock itself,, the following message appears.

ERROR:NgdBuild:924 - input pad net 'clk' is driving non-buffer primitives:

how can I view clock signal on chipscope, since when I connect it to trigger, it is not a buffer element

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Instructor
Instructor

Re: error : input pad net 'clk' is driving non-buffer primitives:

Jump to solution

ChipScope is a logic analyzer, not an oscilloscope.  Usually you don't view clocks, and you certainly don't view the same clock that is clocking the other signals you have captured.  Scoping the same clock you're using as the ChipScope clock will not show you a waveform, only a solid high or low depending the the routing delays to the analyzer inputs.  If you're scoping some other clock, make sure you're sampling it at least twice per (that clock's) period, preferably more if you want to see a reasonable representation of its waveform.

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi,

Please check the following link:-

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Implementation/Clock-pad-driving-non-buffer-primitives-even-though-I-have-a/td-p/94540

Thanks

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

ChipScope is a logic analyzer, not an oscilloscope.  Usually you don't view clocks, and you certainly don't view the same clock that is clocking the other signals you have captured.  Scoping the same clock you're using as the ChipScope clock will not show you a waveform, only a solid high or low depending the the routing delays to the analyzer inputs.  If you're scoping some other clock, make sure you're sampling it at least twice per (that clock's) period, preferably more if you want to see a reasonable representation of its waveform.

-- Gabor

View solution in original post

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

ok I understand this thing. 

but then I have one more question...

the logic analyzer (in my case chipscope) has its own clock, right? hence it should have the capability to take (as a form of data signal) the clock signal for design. Since that clock for Design Under Test (DUT) is not at all acting as a clock for chipscope pro analyzer...right?

one more thing that the clock shown in the figure below is the sampling clock? right?

pro_clock.JPG

bests,

Jaffry

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

When you generated the ILA core, either with Core Generator or using the ChipScope Core Inserter, you connected a clock from your DUT to the ChipScope ILA clock input.  That is the sampling clock.  The clock you show in your screen shot is just for communication with the host PC, and usually runs much slower.

Typically in a synchronous design, you clock the ILA core with the same clock as the signals you want to sample.  Then you don't need to see the clock in the waveform display, as each sample will come one clock after the previous one, and the samples are numbered.

-- Gabor
0 Kudos