Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

ila does not generate ltx file invivado 2014.1

Hello,

I am trying to add an ila core to my hdl, it synthesizes correctly and also makes a bitfile, however in the debug window I don't see any debug cores, also no ltx file is generated.

What am I doing wrong?

Frans

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: ila does not generate ltx file invivado 2014.1

Hi,

Search for the file with extn .ltx in the impl_1 folder.

thanks,
Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

so I did, it's not there

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Are you instantiating ILA core in the code or setting attribute mark_debug in RTL and running "setup debug" in synthesized design?

Open Implemented design and ensure that ILA cores are properly inserted in the design.

You can write out ltx file using the below command after opening synthesized design if needed.

write_debug_probes

Run write_debug_probes -help command for usage details.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

When I set up debug through the debug wizard in the synthesized design, the ltx file is generated, but with the ila core I am not getting any

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Can you elaborate your issue?

From the description it looks like probes file is generated but not associated with ILA core. If this is the case, try below.

• Select the FPGA device in the Hardware window.

• Set the Probes file location to the .ltx file of the corresponding ILA core in the Hardware Device Properties window.

• Click Apply to apply the change.

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I was instantiating the ip_core from the hdl code. I will try the command as you described to generate the probes, but for now I have created debug using the debug wizard which does create the ltx file.

I don't know why it wouldn't be there in the first place, shouldn't vivado run this script for me automatically?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

No the file was not generated, and yes I know how to put a file in a dialog
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Any new thoughts?

the command write_debug_probes also doesn't create any output for the instantiated ila from hdl

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

The screenshot shows that the ila is there, also in the synthesized design, only vivado doesn't find any debug nets.

vivado_ila.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Is it possible for you to share the design for further debugging?

Thanks,
Vinay
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Could you please try in 2013.x (if you have installed any previous versions of vivado) & check whether vivado is able to write the debug probe file or not?

Thanks,
Harry
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Can you attach the .ltx file generated by write_debug_probes command here?

What is the ILA core instance name in the design?

You can search for the same name in the LTX file. 

<Option Id="HW_ILA" value="ila_instance_name"/>

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I'm having the same issue. More precisely:

1) I specified in the RTL files the signals (wires) I wanted to keep and probe, using for each one I targeted for debug:

(* syn_keep = "true", mark_debug = "true" *) 

2) I ran SynplifyPro;

3) I created a Vivado project and loaded the edf file (created by SynplifyPro) and the xdc file;

4) I opened the synthesized design which in turn created the Debug tag where I could see the signals I had marked, each having its little green "bug" next to it, showing that they were marked for debug;

5) I ran the implementation, even generated the bit file, but no .ltx file got generated.

6) I tried the TCL command write_debug_probes <file name>.ltx - without any luck;

7) I tried editing an older .ltx file (one generated a few days ago on a similar, but - unfortunately - not identical design); I got the following error: 

INFO: [Labtools 27-1434] Device xc7v2000t (JTAG device index = 0) is programmed with a design that has no supported debug core(s) in it.
ERROR: [Labtools 27-1974] Mismatch between the design programmed into the device xc7v2000t_0 and the probes file C:/work/mesa/bitfiles/fpga_d_050114_sj.slowsynth/debug_nets_edit.ltx.
The device design has 0 ILA core(s) and 0 VIO core(s). The probes file has 3 ILA core(s) and 0 VIO core(s).
Resolution: Make sure the device probes file is up-to-date, then re-program the device.

But... the cores are (should be) there, shouldn't they? I mean, if the Debug window sees the signals, Vivado should implement those cores, I think... 

It appears (from older posts) that other people had similar experiences by the end of 2013, so it would be too much of a coincidence for all of us to do something wrong, wouldn't it?

Could the Xilinx people on this forum maybe raise the flag with the Chipscope team? 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Facing same issue:

Tried with Vivado-2015.3, Vivado-2014.4.

Also tried the resolutions mentioned in the message below. I see this issue going on since year 2014........

Can somebod provide solution? Badly stuck on this.

WARNING: [Xicom 50-38] xicom: No CseXsdb register file specified for CseXsdb slave type: 0, cse driver version: 0. Slave initialization skipped.
INFO: [Labtools 27-1434] Device xc7z045 (JTAG device index = 1) is programmed with a design that has no supported debug core(s) in it.
WARNING: [Labtools 27-3123] The debug hub core was not detected at User Scan Chain 1 or 3.
Resolution:
1. Make sure the clock connected to the debug hub (dbg_hub) core is a free running clock and is active OR
2. Manually launch hw_server with -e "set xsdb-user-bscan <C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN scan_chain_number>" to detect the debug hub at User Scan Chain of 2 or 4. To determine the user scan chain setting, open the implemented design and use: get_property C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN [get_debug_cores dbg_hub].
WARNING: [Labtools 27-1974] Mismatch between the design programmed into the device xc7z045_1 and the probes file D:/RJ/Lisbon/dbg_cntr/dbg_cntr.runs/impl_1/debug_nets.ltx.
The device design has 0 ILA core(s) and 0 VIO core(s). The probes file has 4 ILA core(s) and 0 VIO core(s).
Resolution:
1. Reprogram device with the correct programming file and associated probes file OR
2. Goto device properties and associate the correct probes file with the programming file already programmed in the device.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @xilinx.marketing,

Have you verified the clock you are using for ILA is free running?

Which device you are using? Which clock pin you are using?

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Arpan,

Yes the clock that we are using is free running.

I am referring to clock which gets defined as connect_debug_port dbg_hub/clk [get_nets <clock name>].

I tried 2 approaches:

1] Used a free running clock (o/p of MMCME in FPGA) from the design, of 80MHz generated from DCM.

LVDS i/ps pins for DCM are H9 and G9. With this following settings were used.

set_property C_ENABLE_CLK_DIVIDER false [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]

2] Used following settings without using the design clock

set_property C_CLK_INPUT_FREQ_HZ 300000000 [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]

set_property C_ENABLE_CLK_DIVIDER true [get_debug_cores dbg_hub] --> it is mentioned with this set true then only 300MHz clock will be used.However it gave error so, 300MHz clock was made 240MHz in above setting.

With both these approaches, same WARNING.

As suggested in resolution we also tried different scan chain numbers 1, 3, 2.

WARNING persists.

XC7Z045FFG900-2, on eval board ZC706.

In other words we have already tried everything given in the Resolution section of the WARNING...... Didn't work.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @xilinx.marketing,

Are you using following clocking structure?

If not please try once with the given clocking structure.

Also please try with the following constraints.

set_property C_CLK_INPUT_FREQ_HZ 300000000 [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]
set_property C_ENABLE_CLK_DIVIDER false [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]
set_property C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN 1 [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]
connect_debug_port dbg_hub/clk [get_nets <>]

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

1.JPG
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Is your design meeting timing after inserting debug hub core?

-Shreyas
Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Any updates on this?

-Shreyas
Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

I too am bumping up against this long-running problem now....

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @garengllc@xilinx.marketing,

Can you please verify if the signal you want to probe is having full green icon or hollow green icon after adding ILA? Please go through page 61 of following link
http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2015_2/ug908-vivado-programming-debugging.pdf

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan

0 Kudos