cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

_impact4.exe has stopped working

As far as I know, the program is fine. It worked on another computer with no issue. I go to load it onto the Basys2 board I have and everything works fine until impact opens. I click Boundary Scan and Initialize Chain, but when I click yes on "Auto Assign Configuration Files Query Dialog" like I was told, an error message comes up that says "_impact4.exe" has stopped working. I've reinstalled ISE Design Suite, I've restarted my computer, and I've tried rewriting it into a new program. I can't find any solutions online, can anyone help me?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

I suspect it is an install issue since it is working on one computer and doesn't work on other.
so try re-installing the tool by disabling the anti-virus and also disable anti-virus while running impact.exe

If the above suggestion didnt work, run xinfo on both machines and compare them.

Thanks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I've had a similar problem.  Been downloading code to the Spartan, typing in Verilog, all working fine - then one day (no re-install, no massive change, no lightning bolts, nothing other than phase of the moon...) - I get the "_impact4.exe has stopped working".  Not very helpful.  At all....  Fortunately, I have the Adept download program so I can continue, but I haven't been able to generate a PROM file through ISE.  That's gonna be an issue soon...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello opscijeremiah,

can you attach the complete impact.log file to look into the issue.

Regards

Krishna

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

What is the ISE/Vivado  tools version are you using?

IN case of ISE 13.4 and 14.X tools this issue is local to using and saving a project with the Digilent cable. Customers are requested to use either the Platform USB or the Mini-USB JTAG cables as a work around. A change request has been filed to fix the issue. The fix will be implemented in one of the next few revisions.

For the current work around is shown below.

When creating/saving a project with a digilent cable set up go to the outputs toolbar menu in iMPACT.

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have this issue right now with ISE 14.7 and the Avnet LX9 board. Even after a clean install of ISE I still get this message.

Any advice is appreciated.

Michael Harpe, N4PLE

Sellersburg, IN

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi Sellersburg,

Did you try above suggestions?

If you still encounters the issue, create a separate .ipf (impact project) and check.

Also share impact.log file to debug the issue.

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

DISCLAIMER: I am not an FPGA engineer. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

For review: This is the Avnet Spartan-6 microboard just purchased this month. I am working on learning VHDL.

So far the issue with Impact does appear to be with saved project (.ipf) files. If I come back to Impact pointed to a saved project file I get the error. If I delete the .ipf file and start again it starts working once I tell it to ignore the error about the project file being gone.

Impact works fine if I start in Boundary Scan, Initialize the chain and then load a PROM config file. I can then program the part with no issues.

So the question is: is it the .ipf file being written improperly or is it not loading properly?

Mike Harpe

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Just to expand on what Kodali says:

Once I have impact open and create a new project, initialize chain, add devices and files etc, then go to the output->cable setup menu and explicitly set the Digilent usb jtag setting (inexplicably not set) then save the project file to something.ipf

The next time I ran impact it did manage top open that project file, but then I noticed in output->cable setup the digilent usb jtag wasn't set this time. Still seemed to work though. Maybe have to explicitly set it every time before saving it?

At least I can run impact stand-alone now without having to reset-up the jtag chain every time

Just remember to set the cable to digilent usb before saving. (Or don't save when exiting.)

Also now seems to work properly if I set process properties to the saved .ipf file in the ISE design flow for Configure Target Device

Joy! I hope it continues to work...

0 Kudos
Highlighted