UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

"Elaboration Failed" occurs on several different projects in 2013.1 but synth & impl work

Jump to solution

I now have three different projects, everything from a simple FDRE IO buffer test to larger more complex designs that all pass synthesis and implementation but fail elaboration. I have attached the message that I receive when I attempt to elaborate. The message always points me to the console, and the console just tells me:

Rtl Elaboration failed
while executing
"rt::run_rtlelab -module $rt::top"
("uplevel" body line 125)
invoked from within
"uplevel #0 {
source $::env(HRT_TCL_PATH)/rtSynthPrep.tcl
set rt::cmdEcho 0
rt::set_parameter writeXmsg true
if { [ info exists ::env(R..."
0 Infos, 1 Warnings, 0 Critical Warnings and 0 Errors encountered.
synth_design failed
ERROR: [Vivado_Tcl 4-5] Elaboration failed - please see the console for details

The error message is always the same. The onle thing that changes within the console text on the different designs is the line number that is referenced and the number of warnings. The rest remains the same on each design that fails.

I have searched the forum and the answer records but can find no reference to this issue. I spoke to the a XIlinx employee and was directed to the forum for help. 

Does anyone have any idea why elaboration is failing in 2013.1? It did not do this in previous versions.

elaboration failed.JPG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Re: "Elaboration Failed" occurs on several different projects in 2013.1 but synth & impl work

Jump to solution

Just got the answer to this from the factory, so I thought I'd share so the forum will have the answer. Apparently if your source HDL ever has an error (i.e. there's a typo, etc.) when you synthesize, the "error" state hangs around in elaborate. From there you fix the error, and synthesis works fine. But elaborate still thinks there's an error. The work around is that once you have fixed the error and synthesis works, close Vivado 2013.1, and re-launch it.  The elaboration will work now (until you have another typo in your HDL and attempt to synthesize). This is new to 2013.1, and there is an internal CR filed to get it fixed.

5 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: "Elaboration Failed" occurs on several different projects in 2013.1 but synth & impl work

Jump to solution

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Planning/error-code-PlanAhead-97-elaboration-failed/td-p/204905

The question has been asked (and answered) here before.

You might try using google?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Google it is.

Unfortunately this didn't help or give me any clues at all. There are runme.log files under impl_1 and synth_1 and neither contains any mention of an of the words "fail" or "elaborate". There is no "elaborate" folder I can see. The only time "error" is mentioned in these files it has a "0" in front of it. This design synthesizes and implements fine. All I see in the log file is the details of my successful runs.

I have attached the runme.log file from synth_1. I can attach the other if you'd like.

I do appreciate your response. Can you suggest how/where to dig further to resolve? I am a disti XFAE and I have three customers seeing this exact same issue with three totally different designs. I have just recently came back to this gig and am new to Vivado. I will not throw issues without trying to work them through to the best of my knowledge first. I was told by the factory to use the Vivado forum for this one. So that is what I am trying to do.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

Disti/FAE?

Then you should know exactly how to get your answer:  file a webcase.

The forums are perhaps the slowest, and most unreliable way to get an answer!  You have to depend on someone else, often not a Xilinx employee, and only by chance, someone who actually knows what they are doing...

Advice, opinions, etc. are usually dealt with well in the forums.  Specific issues with tools, devices are always better handled by the webcase system.  Especially for FAE's.  There is also the Xilinx FAE newsgroup which gets scanned (by me, and many others) a few times a day.

And, any FAE or disti may email me at austin@xilinx.com, and I will promise I will get an answer for them!

(anyone may email me, but only customers and FAE's will get the premium 'service').

Seriously?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Just got the answer to this from the factory, so I thought I'd share so the forum will have the answer. Apparently if your source HDL ever has an error (i.e. there's a typo, etc.) when you synthesize, the "error" state hangs around in elaborate. From there you fix the error, and synthesis works fine. But elaborate still thinks there's an error. The work around is that once you have fixed the error and synthesis works, close Vivado 2013.1, and re-launch it.  The elaboration will work now (until you have another typo in your HDL and attempt to synthesize). This is new to 2013.1, and there is an internal CR filed to get it fixed.

Visitor dennis-aviat
Visitor

Jump to solution

I just ran into this same issue with Vivado 2019.1.

Looks like it was not fixed or has returned.

0 Kudos