UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

running set up debug for a 2nd time (to add extra signals) causes errors

Jump to solution

Using Vivado 2015.4

phase 1 :

-----------

1. I synthesise a design, then open it, and run 'set up debug'
  2. Then I add some signals I want to see on my ILA
  3. Then hit 'generate bitstream'
  4. Vivado asks me if I want to save changes
  5. I say 'yes'
  6. -> ILA constraints are saved to the target xdc file
  7. bitstream generation starts & completes
  8. I debug with the ILA, and decide I need to see some extra signals.

phase 2:

----------

1. I open again the synthesised design
  2. I click on set up debug
  3. I select 'continue to debug xx nets'
  4. I deselect 'debug xx new nets'
  5. then in the dialog, I search for the extra signals I need, and add them
  6. I complete the dialog and hit 'generate bitstream'
  7. again Vivado asks me to save the changes
  8. I confirm with yes, changes are saved to the target xdc file. I checked and the xdc contents seem to be replaced, or at least the extra debug probes are added. 
  9. Bitstream generation starts.

Now : somewhere during bitstream generation (looks like implementation phase), I get a pop-up with a critical message : [Common 17-162] Invalid option specified for '-nets'. [/path_to_my_xdc:171]

In the log file I found this :

Parsing XDC File [/home/zynqdev/Zynq/2015_4/drfa/zynqsnap/Vivado/src/constraints/mark_debug.xdc]
WARNING: [Vivado 12-507] No nets matched 'u_ila_0_clk_out1'. [/home/zynqdev/Zynq/2015_4/drfa/zynqsnap/Vivado/src/constraints/mark_debug.xdc:171]
CRITICAL WARNING: [Common 17-162] Invalid option value specified for '-nets'. [/home/zynqdev/Zynq/2015_4/drfa/zynqsnap/Vivado/src/constraints/mark_debug.xdc:171]
Finished Parsing XDC File [/home/zynqdev/Zynq/2015_4/drfa/zynqsnap/Vivado/src/constraints/mark_debug.xdc]

line 171 of the mark_debug.xdc contains (complete file attached)

connect_debug_port dbg_hub/clk [get_nets u_ila_0_clk_out1]

However, bitstream generation completes ok, and the ILA has the signals added.

This issue seems to appear systematically, each time I 're-edit' the setup debug configuration ...should I worry about this? Or am I doing something wrong? Should I clear the contents of the .xdc file before I save the synthesised design?

Also, do I need to re-run synthesis after these debug probe changes, or can I force synthesis 'up-to-date'?

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Re: running set up debug for a 2nd time (to add extra signals) causes errors

Jump to solution

@arpansur, after running into some more errors during 'incremental set up debug cycles', I found the cause. Here are the critical warnings I get at the moment :

debug errors.png

1) the first 2 warnings refer to constraints in the very beginning of the xdc file, that try to connect u_ila_x_clk_out1 to the dbg_hub/clk. But they are put in the xdc file (by Vivado's setup debug wizard) before the actual 'create_debug_core' statement :

connect_debug_port dbg_hub/clk [get_nets u_ila_0_0_clk_out1]

create_debug_core u_ila_0_0 ila
set_property ALL_PROBE_SAME_MU true [get_debug_cores u_ila_0_0]
set_property ALL_PROBE_SAME_MU_CNT 1 [get_debug_cores u_ila_0_0]

also, the very first line tries to connects  u_ila_0_clk_out1, while the debug core is named u_ila_0_0. So this looks like a 'leftover' from some previous debug core. 

So I commented out the first 2 lines, this clears the first 2 critical warnings

2) the third warning points to the very last line in the xdc file :

connect_debug_port u_ila_0_0/probe50 [get_nets [list design_1_i/snap_SNAP_IO_27_io_wr_full]]
set_property C_CLK_INPUT_FREQ_HZ 300000000 [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]
set_property C_ENABLE_CLK_DIVIDER false [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]
set_property C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN 1 [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]

again here is a left-over constraint from a previous debug setup, as u_ila_0_clk_out1 does not exist, it should be u_ila_0_0_clk_out1

so this looks like some bugs in Vivado, having difficulties when you re-run the 'set up debug wizard' a few times.

so I modified the last line to u_ila_0_0_clk_out1, and this clears the third critical warning !

note that bitstream generation was always successful, and the ILA operated correctly too, despite the critical warnings - so Vivado did connect the clock anyway, even with the error in the very last line of the xdc file... kind a strange ...

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @ronnywebers,

As long as clock connectivity of debug hub is okay you should not worry.

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

@arpansur, after running into some more errors during 'incremental set up debug cycles', I found the cause. Here are the critical warnings I get at the moment :

debug errors.png

1) the first 2 warnings refer to constraints in the very beginning of the xdc file, that try to connect u_ila_x_clk_out1 to the dbg_hub/clk. But they are put in the xdc file (by Vivado's setup debug wizard) before the actual 'create_debug_core' statement :

connect_debug_port dbg_hub/clk [get_nets u_ila_0_0_clk_out1]

create_debug_core u_ila_0_0 ila
set_property ALL_PROBE_SAME_MU true [get_debug_cores u_ila_0_0]
set_property ALL_PROBE_SAME_MU_CNT 1 [get_debug_cores u_ila_0_0]

also, the very first line tries to connects  u_ila_0_clk_out1, while the debug core is named u_ila_0_0. So this looks like a 'leftover' from some previous debug core. 

So I commented out the first 2 lines, this clears the first 2 critical warnings

2) the third warning points to the very last line in the xdc file :

connect_debug_port u_ila_0_0/probe50 [get_nets [list design_1_i/snap_SNAP_IO_27_io_wr_full]]
set_property C_CLK_INPUT_FREQ_HZ 300000000 [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]
set_property C_ENABLE_CLK_DIVIDER false [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]
set_property C_USER_SCAN_CHAIN 1 [get_debug_cores dbg_hub]

again here is a left-over constraint from a previous debug setup, as u_ila_0_clk_out1 does not exist, it should be u_ila_0_0_clk_out1

so this looks like some bugs in Vivado, having difficulties when you re-run the 'set up debug wizard' a few times.

so I modified the last line to u_ila_0_0_clk_out1, and this clears the third critical warning !

note that bitstream generation was always successful, and the ILA operated correctly too, despite the critical warnings - so Vivado did connect the clock anyway, even with the error in the very last line of the xdc file... kind a strange ...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos