UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

High Impedance and Out of Context (OOC) Synthesis

by Xilinx Employee on ‎11-05-2015 04:04 PM (4,127 Views)

Vivado allows for a portion of the design to be synthesized Out-Of-Context (OOC).

The basic idea with an OOC flow is that a part of the design is synthesized by itself.

This allows for a number of possibilities:

• Quick iterations through synthesis of just this one part, while it is being worked on. By not synthesizing the rest of the design, you can have shorter iterations.
  • Quicker iterations through the rest of the design. If one part of the design has been determined to be stable, you can synthesize it OOC, and keep this synthesized version, while you iterate on the rest of the design.
    A change in the rest of the design would need only the rest of the design to be resynthesized, and you can save on the synthesis time for this specific part of the design.

OOC synthesis is especially interesting for IP Cores. You can synthesize your IP core in OOC mode and “release”/”ship” just the synthesized output.

This means that when using this IP core, you do not have to worry about the synthesis of the Core, as you refine your design.

However, OOC synthesis is impacted if your design-excerpt has 3-states (High-Impedance).

FPGAs allow high-impedance only at the I/O Boundaries, and not “within” the device.

If you are synthesizing something in OOC mode, Vivado synthesis does not know whether the specific signal will be on an I/O boundary, or if it will be connected to something else within the device.

As a result, the synthesis tool will convert this high-impedance signal to a logic value, rather than synthesizing as high-impedance.

For Example, the following code excerpt would be impacted:

assign my_signal = enable ? din1 : 1’bz;

After the synthesis in OOC mode, my_signal would no longer be able to get a Z.

Vivado synthesis has 2 possible options here:

1. Let the synthesis mimic the user’s HDL verbatim.
    (When this design unit is hooked up with the rest of the design, if the signal actually goes to an I/O then there is no issue. However, if this signal does not go to an I/O, an error situation would be encountered.)
  2. Do not retain the 3-state.

Vivado synthesis chooses the latter option. The reason being, if any issue is going to arise later on, it is better to let the user know upfront.

The use-model of OOC makes it attractive to IP owners, but they would not be happy if the IP starts to have problems after being integrated into a large design. For this reason, the first option is avoided.

This brings us to the next question:

What if my signal is supposed to reach out ONLY to an I/O?

For example, all of the valid use cases for my signal need it to go to an I/O, and I want it to be able to drive a 3-state.

I would still like to be able to synthesize my portion of the design in OOC mode – and also retain the 3-state.

The way to achieve the above is to instantiate a 3-state buffer in the RTL.

Something similar to the following:

OBUFT u1 (.I(din1), .T(n_enable), .O(my_signal) );

This will ensure that even in the OOC mode of synthesis, my_signal can retain 3-state values.

Also, when this OOC synthesized portion is hooked up with the rest of the design, if the hookup is invalid (for example, my_signal getting connected to something “internal”), there will be errors in the flow.

(Thanks are due to Kawada san of Xilinx Japan, and Raphael Rousseau, for discussions related to this topic.)

Best regards,

Sanjay

Comments
by Visitor talis9
on ‎02-19-2017 02:46 AM

3 state is not necessarily VDD/2  as certain high performance PLL pins exhibit .. Why is this 3 state programming avoided here?

by Xilinx Employee
on ‎09-05-2017 11:03 PM

3-state assignment is being avoided only for the place where it is not clear, if the signal will be at the o/p of the FPGA or will be used internally.

FPGA devices are composed of pre-build primitives. And, the internal primitives do not consider hi-Z signals.

Hence, signals which will be used by these internal primitives will not necessarily be interpreted correctly, if they are at hi-Z.

About the Author
  • Balachander Krishnamurthy is a Sr. Product Marketing Manager for SDSoC. His responsibilities include product planning, inbound and outbound marketing for Xilinx’s Vivado SDx Design Software. Bala holds a Master's degree in Electrical Engineering from San Jose State University. He has worked at Sun Microsystems and Altera for several years in multiple roles in verification, RTL design, first silicon and board bring-up and as an ASIC Product Manager. He has more than 17 years’ experience in the GPU, CPU, ASIC and FPGA industries. His current focus is FPGA methodology for synthesis, implementation and timing closure.
  • Sanjay is Senior Director, Software Validation, at Xilinx, where he and his team validate the company’s Vivado and SDx tool chains. For more than 20 years, Sanjay has worked in EDA and VLSI in India as well as in Silicon Valley in the United States. He has worked extensively on library characterization and modeling, HDLs (focusing more on Verilog than VHDL), simulation, synthesis, static timing analysis, power, clock domain crossing and synchronization, and rule checker-based verification. Sanjay has been learning Vivado in recent years. He has published three books as co-author and editor: Principles of VLSI RTL Design – A Practical Guide, Constraining Designs for Synthesis and Timing Analysis – Using Synopsys Design Constraints, and Designing with Xilinx FPGAs – Using Vivado. In addition, Sanjay has written numerous articles and papers for trade journals and conferences. He holds three patents related to clock gating and isolation cells. A resident of Hyderabad in India, Sanjay is a graduate of the India Institute of Technology Kharagpur in electronics and electrical communications engineering.