UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Check input signals declared as volatile

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am writing a simple Vivado HLS source code that implements the following module on FPGA:

when the signal "A" goes from 1 to 0, check the signal "B".
If "B" is low, then do something, otherwise do something else.

My code is:

#include <ap_int.h>

void test( // inputs volatile ap_uint<1> * A, volatile ap_uint<1> * B ) { while(*A == 1); if(*B == 0){ // do something } else { // do something else } }

but when I try to synthesize the code I get some errors:

/storage/Programmi/Xilinx/Vivado/2018.2/common/technology/autopilot/ap_int_syn.h:6705:1160: note: candidate template ignored: failed template argument deduction
template<int _AP_W, int _AP_I, bool _AP_S, ap_q_mode _AP_Q, ap_o_mode _AP_O, int _AP_N, int _AP_W2, bool _AP_S2> inline __attribute__((always_inline)) bool operator == ( const af_range_ref<_AP_W,_AP_I, _AP_S, _AP_Q, _AP_O, _AP_N> &op, const ap_int_base<_AP_W2, _AP_S> &op2) { return (ap_int_base<_AP_W, false>(op)).operator == (op2); } template<int _AP_W, int _AP_I, bool _AP_S, ap_q_mode _AP_Q, ap_o_mode _AP_O, int _AP_N, int _AP_W2, bool _AP_S2> inline __attribute__((always_inline)) bool operator == (const ap_int_base<_AP_W2, _AP_S2> &op2, const af_range_ref<_AP_W, _AP_I, _AP_S, _AP_Q, _AP_O, _AP_N> &op) { return op2.operator == (ap_int_base<_AP_W, false>(op)); } template<int _AP_W, int _AP_I, bool _AP_S, ap_q_mode _AP_Q, ap_o_mode _AP_O, int _AP_N, int _AP_W2, bool _AP_S2> inline __attribute__((always_inline)) bool operator == ( const af_bit_ref<_AP_W, _AP_I, _AP_S, _AP_Q, _AP_O, _AP_N> &op, const ap_int_base<_AP_W2, _AP_S2> &op2) { return (ap_int_base<1, false>(op)).operator == (op2); } template<int _AP_W, int _AP_I, bool _AP_S, ap_q_mode _AP_Q, ap_o_mode _AP_O, int _AP_N, int _AP_W2, bool _AP_S2> inline __attribute__((always_inline)) bool operator == ( const ap_int_base<_AP_W2, _AP_S2> &op2, const af_bit_ref<_AP_W, _AP_I, _AP_S, _AP_Q, _AP_O, _AP_N> &op) { return op2.operator == (ap_int_base<1,false>(op)); }
^
2 errors generated.
Failed checking during preprocessing.
while executing
"source /home/gian/Documenti/HiPeRTLab/VivadoHLS-workspace/cameraInterface/cameraInterface_prj/solution1/csynth.tcl"
invoked from within
"hls::main /home/gian/Documenti/HiPeRTLab/VivadoHLS-workspace/cameraInterface/cameraInterface_prj/solution1/csynth.tcl"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel 1 hls::main {*}$args"
(procedure "hls_proc" line 5)
invoked from within
"hls_proc $argv"
Finished C synthesis.

If I remove "volatile" from A and B works, but I need to use volatile, because I want to avoid optimizations.

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mentor xilinxacct
Mentor

Re: Check input signals declared as volatile

Jump to solution

@herogian

If you change the ap_unit<1> to bool... it will compile.

You 'may' also need #pragma HLS inline off

I didn't try it with a testbench, but hopefully that will work for you.

If so, please mark as solution accepted. Kudos also welcomed. :-)

P.S. if you overload the equal operator, you can probably use the ap_uint<1> if you need to

2 Replies
Mentor xilinxacct
Mentor

Jump to solution

@herogian

If you change the ap_unit<1> to bool... it will compile.

You 'may' also need #pragma HLS inline off

I didn't try it with a testbench, but hopefully that will work for you.

If so, please mark as solution accepted. Kudos also welcomed. :-)

P.S. if you overload the equal operator, you can probably use the ap_uint<1> if you need to

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
I solved with volatile bool instead of volatile ap_uint<1>, thanks!
0 Kudos