UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor kharris
Visitor

Error with floatn.h in Co-Simulation going through HLS Tutorials (UG871)

Jump to solution

Hello,

I've been trying to go through the HLS Tutorials provided for Vivado 2018.2 in UG871. It's mostly been going well, but in a few places now I've encountered this particular bug during the co-simulation phase of the process. The chapters I encountered it so far have been chp 1, 8, and 10. In chapter 1 I managed to dodge the issue by switching from using math.h in the file to using hls_math.h, and then making all the files in that chapter .cpp vs .c. Chapter 8 I just skipped because I couldn't figure out a work around and now I have it happening on lab 1 of chapter 10. Clearly I need to actually figure this out.

I've attached the full output of running `vivado_hls -f run_hls.tcl` for lab 1 of chp. 10, but I believe the relevant part of the output is this towards the end:

```

In file included from /home/kyle/Downloads/ug871-design-files/Using_IP_with_Zynq/lab1/hls_macc/hls_macc_test.c:2: In file included from /usr/include/stdlib.h:55: /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/floatn.h:75:52: error: unsupported machine mode '__TC__' typedef _Complex float __cfloat128 __attribute__ ((__mode__ (__TC__))); ^ /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/floatn.h:87:9: error: unknown type name '__float128'; did you mean '__cfloat128'? typedef __float128 _Float128; ^ /usr/include/x86_64-linux-gnu/bits/floatn.h:75:24: note: '__cfloat128' declared here typedef _Complex float __cfloat128 __attribute__ ((__mode__ (__TC__))); ^ 2 errors generated. ERROR: [APCC 202-10] clang compile failed: child process exited abnormally

```

The fact that it happens only in co-simulation, but not the c synthesis stage makes me suspicious that my toolchain is somehow a bit messed up, but I haven't done anything fishy with it as far as I'm aware.

Can anybody give me some advice on where to look to fix this?

Thanks for your time,

Kyle

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Error with floatn.h in Co-Simulation going through HLS Tutorials (UG871)

Jump to solution

Hi @kharris ,

At first, I would recommend you to tag by using @ symbol for a quicker response as the person whom you are tagging will get notified.

It seems to be an issue with gcc/clang that has been integrated with HLS on Ubuntu 18.4 LTS machines alone.

Can you please try to install HLS 2018.3 and use the 2018.3 version example design files ? This time you should not face any issue.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi @kharris ,

Can you please check if you are using the supported OS ?

0 Kudos
Visitor kharris
Visitor

Jump to solution

Here's my system:

kyle@laptop:~$ uname -a
Linux laptop 4.18.0-21-generic #22~18.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Thu May 16 15:07:19 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
kyle@laptop:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
Release:	18.04
Codename:	bionic
0 Kudos
Visitor kharris
Visitor

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
Visitor kharris
Visitor

Jump to solution

So it's been over a week, do you have any other ideas?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @kharris ,

At first, I would recommend you to tag by using @ symbol for a quicker response as the person whom you are tagging will get notified.

It seems to be an issue with gcc/clang that has been integrated with HLS on Ubuntu 18.4 LTS machines alone.

Can you please try to install HLS 2018.3 and use the 2018.3 version example design files ? This time you should not face any issue.

0 Kudos
Visitor kharris
Visitor

Jump to solution
@shameera, Thanks for the advice regarding the tagging, that should have been obvious to me. Also, I grabbed the webpack edition of 2018.3 with Zynq 7000 support so I could retry the Chp. 10 lab 1, and it built flawlessly. You nailed it! Now I need to convince my company to get an upgraded license I think. Thanks for your time and patience, Kyle Harris
0 Kudos