UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar xilinxacct
Scholar

HLS – default part (target device) setting?

Is there a way to set the default ‘part’ (target device) in HLS?

If not, could this be a simple enhancement… Maybe defaulting to the last part selected. I suspect for many that they would often use the same part many times in a row.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: HLS – default part (target device) setting?

Hey @xilinxacct,

I think this would be a good use case for the scripting flow. The following tcl script creates a new project and sets the part for you:

open_project new_project
open_solution "solution1"
set_part {xa7a12tcsg325-1q}

Just run Vivado_hls -f script.tcl (or whatever you name that file) from the command line, and you'll create a new project with your part. You can then open the gui from the command line with Vivado_hls -p new_project.

Hope that helps!

Nicholas Moellers

Xilinx Worldwide Technical Support
0 Kudos
Scholar xilinxacct
Scholar

Thanks for the reply... You answer does note well how to set the part name, via a script, rather than the GUI. And I could indeed execute the command within the GUI to establish the part selection.

My hope is that I can avoid that step completely every time I start a new project. (remembering and not making a typo for the part which is nearly 20 characters long, is a bit error prone) Even remembering enough of it to pick it out of the selection filter is tedious :-)

I conclude the 'current' version of HLS does not expose a way to set the default part value once and for all.

That being said...

Internally, is there a file that can be changed to set the default part name that is exposed in the GUI interface (or is that one hard-coded)?

Short of that, may I request a potential enhancement in a future version...

One, if I could pick my 'board' from the board menu, that would be helpful and quick. (but, the current version, doesn't present my board in the list, and doesn't seem to be able to add to the list of boards like Vivado proper) see this issue... https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vivado-High-Level-Synthesis-HLS/How-do-I-get-the-Ultra96-board-to-appear-in-HLS/m-p/927733

Two, if the last part used became the default, that would be really handy... Just click by that selection page,99% of the time, once a part has been picked.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Scholar u4223374
Scholar

@xilinxacct@nmoeller I agree, this seems like something that would be easy to add to the GUI and very useful. Even better would be a list of "recent" parts, with the most recent one automatically selected - that way if you've got two parts that you work with a lot, you don't have to scroll through the list of every speed grade and every FPGA model (even if you've only installed one family, that's still a lot of chips).

Of course, you can just type the whole part number (and then select the only result, because even when there is only one matching part HLS still requires you to select that part) but Xilinx parts numbers are pretty long.