UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Is it correct that an output change once its ap_vld has gone high?

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I have created an HLS IP block using raw inputs and outputs (i.e. ap_none and ap_vld protocols). The idea is to control it using the ap_start to start the calculations and wait for ap_done to be asserted to read the results.

However, I am not getting the same results as the ones from the HLS C simulation. I included an ILA in the Vivado design and I see that after starting the calculations (blue arrow number 1), some of the outputs (Ecs0 and Ecs1) change their value (arrow 3) after their ap_vld signals are asserted by the fabric (arrow number 2). How can be this possible? Shouldn't be these signals constant until I lauch again the caculations using ap_start?

A second question I have is if I might have problems when changing the value of the input Vin (arrow 5) once the ap_start (arrow 1) is asserted. Should I keep Vin unchanged until ap_done (arrow 4) has gone high?

waveform.png

Thanks for your help!

Cerilet

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Is it correct that an output change once its ap_vld has gone high?

Jump to solution

Hi Cerilet,

cerilet wrote:

> Shouldn't be these signals constant until I lauch again the caculations using ap_start?

Strictly speaking from the protocol interface point of view, I believe that HLS is correctly behaving in arrow 3.
This because, if the values of Ecs0 and Ecs1 are the expected ones when their own _vld signals are being asserted anytime during the module execution, then the protocol is satisfied.

Even I don't like that the outputs of the same module become valid/invalid in different times but according to my understanding of the protocol this is admitted.
Changes in the C code can change the time the signals become valid, even should be possible to synchronize them.

Let me know if I'm wrong in interpretation the protocol.

> A second question I have is if I might have problems when changing

> the value of the input Vin (arrow 5) once the ap_start (arrow 1)

> is asserted. Should I keep Vin unchanged until ap_done (arrow 4)

> has gone high?

The ap_start asserted means just "Start of execution", you should  keep unchanged the inputs up the ap_ready signals is asserted.
Can't say if you are doing this because ap_ready is not visible in the figure.

See UG902 Interface Synthesis chapter:

The input data is read at any clock after the first cycle. Vivado HLS schedules when the reads occur. The ap_ready signal is asserted high when all inputs have been read.

Best, Fabio

3 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Well, so after several days looking for the problem I finally discovered "the problem". This was it:

Ecs0 = Ecs0 + (float)(PWM & (0x01<<0) ? isdelta_2C : 0.0);

Apparently, HLS does not properly convert this into what it should be, and that was the reason why I was getting changes after the ap_vld signal was asserted. I had to change it to this stupid code in order to let the compiler properly interpret the instructions:

if(PWM & (0x01<<0))
	Ecs0 = Ecs0 + (float)isdelta_2C;

Can anyone from Xilinx explain me why? I have lost a lot of time because of this bug or whatever it is.

I have been working with HLS quite a lot and it has many illogical problems like this one where the C or C++ code is not properly interpreted. It makes me angry.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi Cerilet,

cerilet wrote:

> Shouldn't be these signals constant until I lauch again the caculations using ap_start?

Strictly speaking from the protocol interface point of view, I believe that HLS is correctly behaving in arrow 3.
This because, if the values of Ecs0 and Ecs1 are the expected ones when their own _vld signals are being asserted anytime during the module execution, then the protocol is satisfied.

Even I don't like that the outputs of the same module become valid/invalid in different times but according to my understanding of the protocol this is admitted.
Changes in the C code can change the time the signals become valid, even should be possible to synchronize them.

Let me know if I'm wrong in interpretation the protocol.

> A second question I have is if I might have problems when changing

> the value of the input Vin (arrow 5) once the ap_start (arrow 1)

> is asserted. Should I keep Vin unchanged until ap_done (arrow 4)

> has gone high?

The ap_start asserted means just "Start of execution", you should  keep unchanged the inputs up the ap_ready signals is asserted.
Can't say if you are doing this because ap_ready is not visible in the figure.

See UG902 Interface Synthesis chapter:

The input data is read at any clock after the first cycle. Vivado HLS schedules when the reads occur. The ap_ready signal is asserted high when all inputs have been read.

Best, Fabio

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Many thanks for your answer Fabio.

0 Kudos