UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Regarding FCS in axi ethernet IP block

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am using an IP which generates ethernet packets and is connected to the axi_ethernet IP block. As the IP connected does not calculate FCS on its own accord and I have enabled full checksum offload in axi_ethernet block, could someone let me know if there is any additional step required to make sure that the packets have fcs when coming out of axi ethernet block as currently, if I don't put fcs (hardcoded) in HLS then I don't see a packet.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Regarding FCS in axi ethernet IP block

Jump to solution

I realized that I was using the maximum length of the etherent packet for the payload without leaving two bytes for FCS. Hence, when I reduced the length, I was able to see the FCS added to the packet.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hey @bbhatt,

This question might be better asked in the Networking and Connectivity board. Also, I believe that the AXI Ethernet Subsystem can add and remove FCS by itself, so I'm a bit confused by the question.

Nicholas Moellers

Xilinx Worldwide Technical Support
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thank you for the reply,

Further to my query, I read this response from one of the questions related to the same topic:

In order for the transmit checksum to be calculated correctly, the transmit Ethernet FCS must not be provided as part of the transmit data and the transmit FCS calculation and insertion must be enabled in the AXI Ethernet Subsystem.
https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Networking-and-Connectivity/AXI-1G-2-5G-Ethernet-Subsytem-FCS-and-Full-Checksum-Offload/td-p/788977
and I was wondering if other than setting this bit: XAE_FCS_INSERT_OPTION, is there anything else that should be taken care of in sdk code to enable FCS transmission

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hey @bbhatt ,

I'm not sure; some IP do require a reset (but not an AXI reset) after configuration. If you're having trouble after setting the FCS instertion bits, I would recommend adding a reset as a next step.

Nicholas Moellers

Xilinx Worldwide Technical Support
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I realized that I was using the maximum length of the etherent packet for the payload without leaving two bytes for FCS. Hence, when I reduced the length, I was able to see the FCS added to the packet.

Thanks.

0 Kudos