UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor bevan1
Visitor

Reported function latency off by one

Hi,

I have found an inconsistency between the reported latency of a function and the actual latency of the generated HDL module. For functions with a latency >1 cycles, the generated HDL takes one cycle more than reported. Following is a simple demonstation:

int add(int x, int y) {
#pragma HLS LATENCY min=N max=N
#pragma HLS INLINE off
#pragma HLS PIPELINE
	return x + y;
}

int top(int x, int y) {
	return add(x, y);
}

N is varied between 0 and 3 in the following and we have a look at the HLS report and the generated Verilog for "add".

N=0

• Report for add: Latency 0, II 1
  • Report for top: Latency 0
  • Verilog module for "add" is purely combinatorial

N=1

• Report for add: Latency 1, II 1
  • Report for top: Latency 1
  • Verilog module for "add" now contains one output register stage

N=2

• Report for add: Latency 2, II 1
  • Report for top: Latency 3 (!)
  • Verilog module for "add" now contains two output register stages and additionally buffers the inputs, i.e. it takes three cycles from input to output

N=3

• Report for add: Latency 3, II 1
  • Report for top: Latency 4
  • Verilog module for "add" adds another output register stage, so it now takes four cycles from input to output

So, the interesting step here is from N=1 to N=2 where two additional register stages are introduced into the HDL code. HLS obviously knows about this and the number of cycles required by "top" increases by two. I tested this with Vivado HLS 2018.1. The generated Verilog code is attached to this post.

Is there a reason for this behavior or is it a bug? I would expect the generated module to take as many cycles as requested using the "HLS LATENCY" pragma and as stated in the HLS report.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Reported function latency off by one

Hello @bevan1,

I am looking into this issue and I will keep  you posted.

Thanks,
Chris

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Reported function latency off by one

Hello @bevan1,

I have reproduced the issue and I have filed a change request with the developers.

It appears that the PIPELINE directive is adding an additional register on the latency gets above two.  When I removed this directive, the latency matches the expected results.

Good Luck,
Chris