UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer ades
Observer

Skipping samples from ap_fifo input: best practices

Apologize for the newbie question.

Let's assume I have the following subfunction (invoked from the top module):

void skip_samples( 
    const uint16_t N, 
    const uint16_t M, 
    int32_t *in,
    volatile int32_t *out
)

where in is an ap_fifo and out is memory-mapped via a AXI master interface. 

The goal is the following:

• Read N samples from in, and write them contiguously on out
  • Skip M samples from in
  • Read another burst of N samples from in, and append them to out (after the first N)

So, in summary, we need to read N+M+N from in, and write only N+N to out. I understand that out could easily be an ap_fifo as well, but due to the top-level design, it must be AXI-Master memory-mapped.

I seem to have troubles with the "skipping" part. I tried two different design, one based upon for loops, another via memcpy( ), and both hang the board (testbenches work well). On the other hand, interestingly, if I do some sort of explicit processing of the M samples to be skipped (for example, computing a checksum), the module works well. What am I missing?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Skipping samples from ap_fifo input: best practices

My two cents in your question in ap_fifo input :

- If the array is accessed in a sequential manner an  ap_fifo  interface can be used.

- So, I don't see how you skip M samples. Does it break the above rule of FIFO object in HLS ?

Thanks

Nanson

0 Kudos