UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer simalps
Observer

Vivado HLS: dataflow and shared array among modules

Jump to solution

Dear all, I'm trying to synthesize a design using the dataflow pragma and a shared array among modules of the network. As an example, the following Figure summarized the problem.

I have a top network (where I use the dataflow pragma) with two parallel modules: the Writer and the Reader. Basically lets assume that the writer receives the input values through an HLS fifo stream, copy these values in the array, and sends write-done signal to the Reader module  through a second HLS fifo stream. The reader makes some processing on this array and send the output through another  HLS fifo stream. At the same time it sends also a read-done signal to the writer. In other words, both the write-done and the read-done signals emulates a mutex on the array object.

network.png

I tried different implementation solutions for the Array object but I can not synthesize this design. Do you have some similar working examples / solutions / suggestions?

Thank you!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Vivado HLS: dataflow and shared array among modules

Jump to solution

@simalps

What is the error you are getting? How does your code behave when there is no dataflow directive?

Also, dataflow directive has few limitations. Refer Pg:153 http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_2/ug902-vivado-high-level-synthesis.pdf. Make sure your code doesn't fall into these categories.

Thanks,

Sravanthi

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

@simalps

What is the error you are getting? How does your code behave when there is no dataflow directive?

Also, dataflow directive has few limitations. Refer Pg:153 http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_2/ug902-vivado-high-level-synthesis.pdf. Make sure your code doesn't fall into these categories.

Thanks,

Sravanthi

0 Kudos
Observer simalps
Observer

Jump to solution

@svanapar thank your for your reply

Now my design can be synthesized, but I still have wrong co-simulation results. I attached the source code with this implementation at the end of this message.

The co-symulation give me wrong results. The test bench works like this: I send to the network 64*4 tokens through the input fifo with value [0,..., 64*4-1]. The reader store 64 tokens on the array, then send a write-done to the  reader and waits a read-done signal before reading and storing the new 64 tokens. The output values of the network should be basically the same input values, since I send each time the 64 values contained in the array. The co-symulation errors ate basically two: (see Figure below)

1. The output values are always 0s
  2. The writer does not wait for the read-done signal and seams that it continues working

result.png

Without the DATAFLOW it works. According to ug902  the coding styles prevent Vivado HLS from performing the DATAFLOW optimization are:

• Single-producer-consumer violations
  • Bypassing tasks
  • Feedback between tasks -> could be this one the problem?
  • Conditional execution of tasks
  • Loop scopes with variable bounds
  • Loops with multiple exit conditions

So a second attempt has been to introduce two internal buffers to decouple the direct feedback loop between the Writer and the Reader (i.e. through the read-done and write-done fifos). Results depends on the buffer depth. With  depth 1 I have the same results as previously, with depth 512 results are correct only for the first 64 tokens, then the simulation stacks (see Figure below) with the following error:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Inter-Transaction Progress: Completed Transaction / Total Transaction
// Intra-Transaction Progress: Measured Latency / Latency Estimation * 100%
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// RTL Simulation : 0 / 530 [0.00%] @ "125000"
// RTL Simulation : 530 / 530 [0.00%] @ "5435000"
$finish called at time : 5475 ns : File "/home/user/hls_test_forum/projects/SharedNetwork/hls_SharedNetwork/SharedNetwork_solution/sim/verilog/SharedNetwork.autotb.v" Line 270
## quit
INFO: [Common 17-206] Exiting xsim at Sun Aug 21 12:25:51 2016...
INFO: [COSIM 212-316] Starting C post checking ...
CRITICAL WARNING: [COSIM 212-361] C TB post check failed, nonzero return value '1'.
CRITICAL WARNING: [COSIM 212-4] *** C/RTL co-simulation finished: FAIL ***
command 'ap_source' returned error code
    while executing
"source /home/user/hls_test_forum/projects/SharedNetwork/hls_SharedNetwork/SharedNetwork_solution/cosim.tcl"
    invoked from within
"hls::main /home/user/hls_test_forum/projects/SharedNetwork/hls_SharedNetwork/SharedNetwork_solution/cosim.tcl"
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel 1 hls::main {*}$args"
    (procedure "hls_proc" line 5)
    invoked from within
"hls_proc $argv"
Finished C/RTL cosimulation.

ex2.png

I think that one problem can be also the synchronization between the two modules and seems that the Writer is not blocked when waiting the read-done signal from the Reader.

Do you have any idea?

Once again, thank you for assistance

0 Kudos
Visitor rabeluk
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I've the same problem. Can someone help me  please?

0 Kudos
Observer simalps
Observer

Jump to solution

Unfortunately you can not do that.

You have to make an IP core for each network module and successively connect them using Vivado.

In this way it works.

0 Kudos
Visitor rabeluk
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi simalps,

Thanks for answer

How do you bring out from module the array? I need to bring out an array of struct

0 Kudos
Observer simalps
Observer

Jump to solution

@rabeluk my solution is: I defined a pointer in the module input parameters. I used the AXI master as interface. Then I control/assign the pointer address through the PS.

0 Kudos