UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer umair0722
Observer

Vivado hls tool not updating the changes in header file

Hi,

I am new to vivado hls, I am using vivdo 2013.1. I started with a basic example from ug902 pg109-110 section "AXI4 Master Interface". here it is

#include "ap_cint.h"
#include "example.h"

void example (volatile DT *m) {
	// Define the RTL interfaces
	#pragma HLS interface ap_ctrl_none port=return
	#pragma HLS interface ap_bus port=m
	// Define the pcore interface as an AXI4 master
	#pragma HLS resource core=AXI4M variable=m
	DT buff[N], tmp;
	int i, j;
	memcpy(buff, m, N * sizeof(DT));
	for (i = 0, j = N - 1; i < j; i++, j--) {
		tmp = buff[i];
		buff[i] = buff[j];
		buff[j] = tmp;
	}
	memcpy(m, buff, N * sizeof(DT));
}
/***************************************
/* example_test.c
*/
int main () {
    DT temp[N];
    int i;
    FILE *fp;
    for (i = 0; i < N ; i++ )
        temp[i] = i;
    // Execute the function
    example(temp);
    fp=fopen("out.dat","w");
    for (i = 0; i < N ; i++ )
    {
        fprintf(fp, "%i : %d\n", i, temp[i]);
        printf("%i : %d\n", i, temp[i]);
    }
    fclose(fp);
    return 0;
}

The value of N is defined in example.h file which resides in the same directory as this src file. I wrote a simple c code for testing the above function, it fills an array, calls this function and prints the result. Till now everything works fine and i get the desired result.

But when I change the value of N in example.h  it is not updated when i see the result. Interestingly when i hover over N the MACRO EXPANSION shows the new value.

(Project Settings > General > "Parse All Header" Files option is checked)

Can you tell why is the value of N from header file is not updated and how should it be done?

Thanks

Umair

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Vivado hls tool not updating the changes in header file

Hello Umair,

I think the answer goes along this line..:
I think you're talking about the C-simulation and in this situation the VHLS tool is based on makefiles.

The inputs files for the dependancies are the ones setup in the project - usually that's only the C files, not the header files.
If you modify the header file that changes N, then the c-sim will not see it as the dependancies do not include the header file.

Solutions (solution 1 should be more effiecient):

1- include the header file to your project - notice you will get a warning from the tools but you can ignore it.

2- you can also use the check box option "clean" in the setting window when you start the c-simulation, this doesn't have the same effect but should still qualily work.

I hope this helps.

- Hervé

SIGNATURE:
* New Dedicated Vivado HLS forums* http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/High-Level-Synthesis-HLS/bd-p/hls
* Readme/Guidance* http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

* Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
* Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Observer umair0722
Observer

Re: Vivado hls tool not updating the changes in header file

Thanks Herve for the reply. Solution 1 did not work for me. The tool did not even gave warning when I added .h file to the sources. Solution 2 did work.

One more thing moving forward. I am exporting an example (your toy example here) design as pcore. I wanted to ask which driver files should be used with this pcore as there are two options

1- solution1/impl/drivers/example_v1_00_a/src ; here are 5 files (i need four of them for standalone development)

2- solution1/impl/pcores/example_v1_00_a/include ; 3 files here

I have integrated this example pcore with my PS using XPS and exported the HW design in SDK.Now, if i am using option 1 I cannot find some required variables eg XPAR_XEXAMPLE_NUM_INSTANCES, XExample_ConfigTable and xx_DEVICE_ID.

Ideally they should be present in xparameters.h ?

can you suggest why they are not generated or how should they be generated/created?

thanks

0 Kudos