Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Bitstream File Not Found/permissions

Board: Basys 3

Software: Vivado 2014.4

System: Windows 7 home premium 64-bit

Issue

ERROR: [Labtools 27-2149] File C:/Users/Chris/Desktop/GraduateProject/Basys_3_Intro/Basys_3_Intro.runs/impl_1/Basys3_Abacus_Top.bit not found. Check file name and file permissions.

I tried:

+ Run as administrator

+ Change folder permission

+ Re-install vivado

+ Re-install windows

However, if I copy the bitstream file to my desktop, then the file can be accessed and the Basys3 is programmed without any errors.  Any idea what's happening here or what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

I think the issue here is "directory path length".
Reduce the path length (i.e., C:/Users/Chris/Desktop/GraduateProject/Basys_3_Intro/Basys_3_Intro.runs/impl_1/Basys3_Abacus_Top.bit) and check.

Thanks,
Vinay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
Highlighted

I put in C:\project

and still not work, please help thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

Can you try to access the same path from windows command prompt of your machine? 

Please copy the exact location from the error message and paste it in the command prompt.

--Syed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

Did you check our new quick reference timing closure guide (UG1292)?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Hi @simaxe 

There has been same issues with windows as it has char limition. But are you saying when copied bit file to desktop it works and when copied it in c:\project it doesnt?

If yes, i would like to check the vivado.log file.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I also encountered the same problem, did you solve?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

I faced the same problem with my new AC701 dev board here. I followed the instructions to the letter, yet I was getting a "File bist_app.bit not found."

The recommended installation path for the BIST test files for AC701 is from root of C:, so the path is pretty short for both the script location and said .bit file:

c:/ac701_bist/ready_for_download/bist_download.tcl

c:/ac701_bist/ready_for_download/bist_app.bit

... so I thought it had nothing to do with the length of the path but rather the permissions.

In Vivado tcl shell I cd to the target directory and chmod a+rwx all files there (even '.'). Solved my problem. Can't tell which of the files (or directory) really needed it's permissions extended. Only admin perms were set after extraction of the .zip file.

Hope that helps.

--M

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hello,

I had the same problem with an AC701 in the same file as mgaron "bist_app.bit". I  also changed the directory to the target and execute the command from there, and it worked:

cd c:/ac701_bist/ready_for_download

source bist_download.tcl

So it seems it isn't a permission problem

Greetings

Javier

Highlighted

Thanks! I had the same problem while trying to bring up the AC701 bist. After reading your post I figuired that it was looking for the .bit file in a different directory. So I did a dir command in the tcl panel to find out what directory it was in. The dir command was executed by the DOS shell and I copied the .bit file there. It worked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @alee_isc,

Welcome to Xilinx Forums.

Please give kudo(star on the left) to the answer which helped you to resolve your issue.

Thanks,
Arpan

Thanks,
Arpan

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello,

I faced same error while running Built-In-Self-Test(BIST) as per 'Getting Started Guide'.

ERROR: [Labtools 27-2149] File bist_app.bit not found. Check file name and file permissions.

Capture1.PNG

I think the issue is not "Directory Path Length" as @vuppala mentioned or "file permission access" as error message itself says.

#Solution:

1] I changed directory as 'cd c:/ac701_bist/ready_for_download/' where my target file 'bist_download.tcl' was situated. You won't be able to see effect of changed directory. To know your current directory type 'dir' command. It will show output as follows:

Capture2.PNG

2]then I executed 'source' command as 'source bist_download.tcl'. And it executed successfully.

#Reason:

>>When you execute 'source' command without changing directory, current directory would be like this 'C:\Users\Neural1\AppData\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado' (according to your computer).

>>It runs 'source' command successfully but the script in your target file ('bist_download.tcl' in my case) needs another file to be executed ('bist_app.bit' in my case), which obviously is not present in the current directory ('C:\Users\Neural1\AppData\Roaming\Xilinx\Vivado'). So it causes error.

>>Changing current directory at the first place will solve the problem. At least it worked for me.

Hope it helps. 

Thanks,
Parth.

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I solved the problem for myself: Open the tcl file in a text editor, I used Visual Studio Code but any other text editor which can open this file will be ok. Then, you can see the path of the bit file in this file but this path is just a file name... If you change the file name with the full path of the file, the program will work. 

This was worked for me !!!

I hope it would help. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks @vuppala 

Earlier I was also facing this issue. Reducing the file path length worked for me.

But could you please explain me what does file path length has to do with file permission and file not being found. Does Vivado has some internal buffer size limit for storing file path?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @viren3999 ,

I guess it is because of the path length provided from the OS end.

Thanks,

Raj

Highlighted

Thanks @rshekhaw !

0 Kudos