Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hongyijia2013
Visitor
Visitor

Can “read_edif” use asterisk wildcard?

Jump to solution

I want to load quite a lot of .ngc files to vivado .

But it seem that only one file can be loaded by using the command "read_edif"

And this command "read_edif  synplify/core/*.ngc" does't work.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
avrumw
Guide
Guide

You have to think about the Tcl parser. To the Tcl parser, the * doesn't really mean anything. Some commands can take strings that contain a star an interpret the * in a particular way, but the parser itself doesn't.

For example, in the command "get_cells my_cell*", the * is used as a wildcard for cell names. But, it is the get_cells command that makes the * look for cell names. Similarly, in "get_nets my_net*", the get_nets command expands the wildcard against the nets that exist in the database. The command "get_files my_file*", expands the * using the set of files that are currently part of the project (added with add_files).

None of these are what you want. Furthermore, the 'read_edif' command does not have any wildcarding capabilities. But, as Sikta said, it can take a list of files. So, the question is, how do you create a list of files based on the files that exist within a directory?

The answer is the Tcl command 'glob'. From 'help glob'

NAME
       glob - Return names of files that match patterns

SYNOPSIS
       glob ?switches? pattern ?pattern ...?

This shows that glob accepts one or more patterns (that can contain wildcards) and return the files (from the filesystem) that match the pattern.

Therefore

read_edif [glob synplify/core/*.ngc]

should work.

Avrum

View solution in original post

3 Replies
siktap
Scholar
Scholar

Can you try creating a list of files and then passing the list of files through read_Edif?

I think that should work.

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
avrumw
Guide
Guide

You have to think about the Tcl parser. To the Tcl parser, the * doesn't really mean anything. Some commands can take strings that contain a star an interpret the * in a particular way, but the parser itself doesn't.

For example, in the command "get_cells my_cell*", the * is used as a wildcard for cell names. But, it is the get_cells command that makes the * look for cell names. Similarly, in "get_nets my_net*", the get_nets command expands the wildcard against the nets that exist in the database. The command "get_files my_file*", expands the * using the set of files that are currently part of the project (added with add_files).

None of these are what you want. Furthermore, the 'read_edif' command does not have any wildcarding capabilities. But, as Sikta said, it can take a list of files. So, the question is, how do you create a list of files based on the files that exist within a directory?

The answer is the Tcl command 'glob'. From 'help glob'

NAME
       glob - Return names of files that match patterns

SYNOPSIS
       glob ?switches? pattern ?pattern ...?

This shows that glob accepts one or more patterns (that can contain wildcards) and return the files (from the filesystem) that match the pattern.

Therefore

read_edif [glob synplify/core/*.ngc]

should work.

Avrum

View solution in original post

hongyijia2013
Visitor
Visitor
Thanks !I will take a try a few days later,and feed back my result.
0 Kudos