cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Collect a list of HDL parameters/generics in Tcl?

How can I collect a list of the VHDL generics (or Verilog parameters) of a VHDL entity (or Verilog module) from Tcl?

I am hoping to obtain a comprehensive list my top module's generics/parameters along with their values. Ideally this would even include generics/parameters that were not explicitly set by the user and instead just use their default values.

I know this must be possible since "write_vhdl" collects all VHDL generics of the top module and writes them as "attributes" in a VHDL netlist. For example, after elaboration of the following entity:

entity test is
  generic (
    G_GENERIC : natural := 1
  );
  port (
    clk : IN std_logic;
  );
end test;

"write_vhdl" will result in the following:

entity test is
  port (
    clk : IN std_logic;
  );
attribute NotValidForBitStream : boolean; 
attribute NotValidForBitStream of test : entity is true;
attribute G_GENERIC : integer;
attribute G_GENERIC of test : entity is 1;
end test;

So, somehow "write_vhdl" is able to determine the list of VHDL generics and write them to this VHDL netlist as attributes.

Any advice regarding how I can obtain this information via Tcl is much appreciated.

As a side note, is the source code for Vivado utilities like "write_vhdl" available somewhere? If I could see the "write_vhdl" source, I might be able to figure this out. I could not find this procedure's definition in my Vivado installation.

Thanks!

dbanks122

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Collect a list of HDL parameters/generics in Tcl?

Hi @dbanks122,

A similar query has been discussed in following forums post:-

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vivado-TCL-Community/Get-generic-value-from-Tcl/td-p/780458

Have a look at it, let me know if it resolves your query.

Thanks,
Chinmay

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Re: Collect a list of HDL parameters/generics in Tcl?

Thank you for your response @chinmays! Unfortunately, that link (was broken, fixed here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Vivado-TCL-Community/Get-generic-value-from-Tcl/td-p/780458) does not resolve my query for a few reasons:

1. This method only works for submodules in an HDL hierarchy (not the top module of a design)
    • It requires use of "get_cells" to get the module to probe for properties
  2. This method only works if you already know the names of all of the generics
    • I would like to get a list of all generics set for VHDL module

This method does seem to give the values for all generics (even those which use default values and area not explicitly set).

0 Kudos