UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

How to do routing using Tcl scripts?

Dear all,

I am using Vivado 2016.1 and I would like to do the routing between two logic resources located in different slices and CLBs. I know that this routing must pass through different switch matrixes and logic resources and I know it is possible to do it via constraints definition. I have read UG894 and UG895 but they are so extensive and complicated ! Can anybody provide me a simple example of routing between two flip-flops to extend it for my own purpose?

P.S. : Previously this task was feasible in ISE FPGA Editor by Manual routing and I know it is possible in Vivado using scripts.

Kind replies are in advance appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Advisor evgenis1
Advisor

Re: How to do routing using Tcl scripts?

Hi @msdarvishi ,

Did you have a change to take a look at Vivado ECO flow in UG 904 on page 144 ?

It explains how to do custom routing. I personally find it much easier to do in Vivado than ISE.

Thanks,

Evgeni

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @evgenis1

I think "manual routing" section at page-122 of https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_4/ug904-vivado-implementation.pdf will be helpful to you.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Dear @evgenis1 and @vemulad,

Both your suggestions are helpful thank you ! But, the way mentioned in UG904 (page 122 to 144) are for "Manual Routing". I am curious to know how can I write the relevant script in *.tcl file and run it and it will do the automatic routing between a source and a destination define in *.tcl file? 

To make it simple, please see the simple routing between two flip-flops shown in the attachment. I can see the Direct routing constraint obtained by the tool as follows:

CLBLL_LL_BQ  CLBLL_LOGIC_OUTS5  WW2BEG1  ER1BEG2  EL1BEG1  BYP_ALT1  BYP_L1  CLBLL_LL_AX

Now, the question is that how can I import (or write) this routing constraint in *.tcl file and run it to do that routing automatically:? If this is possble, then we can control the routing path (which I think is feasible).

Thanks,

routing1.png
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @msdarvishi

After manual routing, save the design in vivado. This will write out the constraints to target XDC file (which you can use in TCL).

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)
0 Kudos