UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer jnbkeller
Observer

How to 'include_layout' with write_project_tcl command

Jump to solution

I often use the write_project_tcl command to save a file that I can use to recreate the project. 

Problem: When I recreate the project by sourcing this file, the recreated block diagram has not preserved the placement and layout of the original diagram. 

I noticed that the write_bd_tcl command has a -include_layout option and there is also a write_bd_layout command that I can use. 

Question: How can I preserve the layout of my BD when using the write_project_tcl command when there is not a 'include_layout' option? 

Thanks, 

Brian 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How to 'include_layout' with write_project_tcl command

Jump to solution

@jnbkeller wrote:
Oh, one more question. I've been looking at this command: write_bd_layout -format native
This seems to save the layout maybe like the .ui does. Would this command be any better to use with the regenerate_bd_layout -layout_file?
My goal is to have a simple script, and having to go into the sources folders to collect a .ui file seems more complicated to make a generic script from. E.g., the directory name may change, etc... Thus, having a command I can run to save the layout seems better.

What are your thoughts on the best way to do this?

I think "write_bd_layout -format native" command suits better with your flow because of it's flexibility to choose desired location.

Regards,
Chinmay 

6 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @jnbkeller,

You are right write_project_tcl does not have include_layout option for BD. But you can apply previously saved layout on an existing opened BD.

When you create a BD it's layout information gets saved in .ui format at "<cwd>/<project_name>.srcs/sources_1/bd/<bd_name>/ui" location.

You can apply the saved .ui layout on an existing opened BD by using following command:-

regenerate_bd_layout -applyui <ui_filename>.ui

in tcl console. Refer to AR#64641 for more information.

regards,
Chinmay

Observer jnbkeller
Observer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't know about that capability.  I have a few more questions;  I'm asking because I currently have generic (department-wide) scripts to re-create projects from files I've saved in a configuration management tool and I don't know the best method to capture the layout information:

1) Is there any particular advantage to the .ui method over using the write_bd_layout command?

2) are there any path dependencies on the .ui file?  e.g., can I copy it to another location and call it separately?

3) Is it possible for you to request that the include_layout option be added to the write_project_tcl command in a future release?

Thanks again for the quick reply,

Brian

0 Kudos
Observer jnbkeller
Observer

Jump to solution
Oh, one more question. I've been looking at this command: write_bd_layout -format native
This seems to save the layout maybe like the .ui does. Would this command be any better to use with the regenerate_bd_layout -layout_file?
My goal is to have a simple script, and having to go into the sources folders to collect a .ui file seems more complicated to make a generic script from. E.g., the directory name may change, etc... Thus, having a command I can run to save the layout seems better.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi @jnbkeller,

Apologies for the delay in response. Please find the answers below:-

>>Is there any particular advantage to the .ui method over using the write_bd_layout command?

"write_bd_layout -format native" generates the exact same file as .ui. you can compare both the files in an editor. The only advantage of using "write_bd_layout"  is it gives you flexibility to gnereate the file at your desired location with desired name and format (native, pdf and svf).

>> are there any path dependencies on the .ui file?  e.g., can I copy it to another location and call it separately?

There is no path dependency, you can safely copy it and call from other locations.

>>Is it possible for you to request that the include_layout option be added to the write_project_tcl command in a future release?

Sure, I can discuss this with factory and if found valid, an enhancement can be requested.  

Regards,
Chinmay

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

@jnbkeller wrote:

I think "write_bd_layout -format native" command suits better with your flow because of it's flexibility to choose desired location.

Regards,
Chinmay 

Observer jnbkeller
Observer

Jump to solution
Thank you!
0 Kudos