UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor yanjiesh
Visitor

How would I setup Cygwin to make a vivado project?

Jump to solution

Dear all,

My hardware is a combination of Zedboard and AD-FMCOMMS3-EBZ. 

I would like to create a vivado project file for this hardware. 

I followed the instruction on webpage of "https://wiki.analog.com/resources/fpga/docs/build".

I tried to setup Cygwin on my pc.

I searched and set up git and make tools, however how should search for set up vivado tools?

I have tried set up gcc and gdb tools and never solved the problem—— When I entered Cygwin64 Terminal and sent "which vivado", the system still responded as follows.

Administrator@WIN-JM91PE4HPA6 ~
$ which vivado
which: no vivado in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/Windows/system32:/cygdrive/c/Windows:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/Windows/System32/WindowsPowerShell/v1.0:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/IVI Foundation/VISA/WinNT/Bin:/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Autodesk Shared)

$

How would I continue my setup for Cygwin ? 

Regards,

Jie 

2017-11-28

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: How would I setup Cygwin to make a vivado project?

Jump to solution

Cygwin is Unix/Linux command-like interface to a windows machine. As a result, you can set up Vivado as if it was a Unix/Linux machine - using the scripts provided by Xilinx to set up the required environment variables (or doing it manually).

You need to tell us which shell (csh or sh/ksh/bsh) you are using, since you use different commands and scripts depending on the shell. If you are using sh then you use the command

source <xilinx_installation_directory>/Vivado/<version>/settings64.sh

where <xilinx_installation_directory> is where Xilinx was installed (usually C:/Xilinx) and <version> is the version you want (i.e. "2017.3").

If you are using csh, then it appears that the corresponding .csh script is not supplied in Vivado for windows, so you will have to set the environment variable manually

setenv PATH /cygdrive/c/Xilinx/Vivado/2017.3/bin:"$PATH"

Avrum

4 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

Cygwin is Unix/Linux command-like interface to a windows machine. As a result, you can set up Vivado as if it was a Unix/Linux machine - using the scripts provided by Xilinx to set up the required environment variables (or doing it manually).

You need to tell us which shell (csh or sh/ksh/bsh) you are using, since you use different commands and scripts depending on the shell. If you are using sh then you use the command

source <xilinx_installation_directory>/Vivado/<version>/settings64.sh

where <xilinx_installation_directory> is where Xilinx was installed (usually C:/Xilinx) and <version> is the version you want (i.e. "2017.3").

If you are using csh, then it appears that the corresponding .csh script is not supplied in Vivado for windows, so you will have to set the environment variable manually

setenv PATH /cygdrive/c/Xilinx/Vivado/2017.3/bin:"$PATH"

Avrum

Visitor yanjiesh
Visitor

Jump to solution

Dear avrumw,

I opened Cygwin64 Terminal and entered "which sh" and the answer shown was quite right for sh procedure.

I entered cyppath orders and found the correct path name for settings64.sh. 

Finally, I sourced the file of settings64.sh and had a good result for which vivado. 

The cutdown information is as follows:

-H, --homeroot output `Profiles' directory (home root) and exit
-O, --mydocs output `My Documents' directory and exit
-P, --smprograms output Start Menu `Programs' directory and exit
-S, --sysdir output system directory and exit
-W, --windir output `Windows' directory and exit
-F, --folder ID output special folder with numeric ID and exit
Try `cygpath --help' for more information.

$

$ cygpath -p -a "D:\Xilinx\Vivado\2016.2"
/cygdrive/d/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.2

$ source /cygdrive/d/Xilinx/Vivado/2016.2/settings64.sh

$ which vivado
/home/Administrator/\Xilinx\Vivado\2016.2\bin/vivado

Thanks,

Regards!

Jie

2017-11-29

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Dear colleagues, 

First of all, thank you for your previous valuable answers and guidelines. I've followed all the steps provided above and the environment should be correctly configured, but yet I have one question to solve.

From cygwin I have the vivado path and configuration done as previously reported in the thread. Here the output from my cygwin terminal :

$ which vivado
C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2018.2\bin\vivado

My problem is to execute vivado I require to launch "vivado.bat". Running "vivado" gives me the following answer:

$ vivado
/setupEnv.sh: No such file or directory 25: \Xilinx\Vivado\2018.2\bin
\Xilinx\Vivado\2018.2\bin/vivado: línea 41: /loader: No such file or directory

Outside cygwin, clicking the file "Vivado" from Windows directly runs ok.

It won't be problematic, but now that I require to use the command line with makefiles and tcl sources, is not possible. Could you provide me some insights or solutions to work around this issue? My alternative is to quit cygwin and install everything in a Linux system.

Thank you in advance, Alfredo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant michaeltymcnamara
Participant

Jump to solution

You asked:

@alfredo_gardel wrote:

Dear colleagues, 

First of all, thank you for your previous valuable answers and guidelines. I've followed all the steps provided above and the environment should be correctly configured, but yet I have one question to solve.

From cygwin I have the vivado path and configuration done as previously reported in the thread. Here the output from my cygwin terminal :

$ which vivado
C:\Xilinx\Vivado\2018.2\bin\vivado

My problem is to execute vivado I require to launch "vivado.bat". Running "vivado" gives me the following answer:

$ vivado
/setupEnv.sh: No such file or directory 25: \Xilinx\Vivado\2018.2\bin
\Xilinx\Vivado\2018.2\bin/vivado: línea 41: /loader: No such file or directory

Outside cygwin, clicking the file "Vivado" from Windows directly runs ok.

It won't be problematic, but now that I require to use the command line with makefiles and tcl sources, is not possible. Could you provide me some insights or solutions to work around this issue? My alternative is to quit cygwin and install everything in a Linux system.

Thank you in advance, Alfredo

Instead run:

$ vivado.bat

And for scripts that want to launch the tool as vivado, you could create an alias:

$ alias vivado='vivado.bat'

As you appear to be building the Analog Devices radio, you can edit the file 

library/scripts/library.mk and change the definition of vivado from:

VIVADO := vivado -mode batch -source

to:

VIVADO := vivado.bat -mode batch -source

Tags (3)
0 Kudos