Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buddha1987
Voyager
Voyager

Is there a tcl command to clear the tcl console in vivado/

Jump to solution

In some cases, I want to clear the tcl console in vivado. Except using right click "Clear All output", is there a tcl command I can use to clear the console?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vemulad
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Not sure of TCL command.

But you can click on the icon below which does the same task.

Untitled.png

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

8 Replies
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

>> cls usually works for me, didi you try it?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
buddha1987
Voyager
Voyager
I just try it, but I got "invalid command name "cls" '. It works for you ?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
Hello,

I just tried this command. It gives below mentioned warning when you try the command in Vivado Tcl console.
WARNING: [Common 17-259] Unknown Tcl command 'cls' sending command to the OS shell for execution.

But this commands works fine if you try it in Vivado Tcl Shell.
Start -> All Programs -> Xilinx Design Tools -> Vivado 2014.2 -> Vivado 2014.2 Tcl Shell
Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
vemulad
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Not sure of TCL command.

But you can click on the icon below which does the same task.

Untitled.png

Thanks,

Deepika.

Thanks,
Deepika.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Google your question before posting. If someone's post answers your question, mark the post as answer with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left)

View solution in original post

daughtry
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

There is no such Tcl command to clear the IDE console.  There is the "X" button that was pointed out above.

The cls button is not a Tcl command - at least not a native built in one.  The poster above may have an alias set up to another command or more likely it is executing a shell command which is what happens when you type an unknown Tcl command.  This gives you access to OS shell commands from the Tcl shell (like ls or dir which are not Tcl).

Greg Daughtry
Vivado Product Marketing Director, Xilinx, Inc.
buddha1987
Voyager
Voyager
Thanks, all of you. The "X" button is very handy.
0 Kudos

just type '.main clear' in main tcl window, and press the magic key(ENTER).

0 Kudos

I can't believe there is still not a command to clear the console...even in version 2020.1. 

When debugging TCL scripts, I want to clear the console before rerunning the script.  Reaching for the mouse is ridiculous. 

Standard TCL shells have the "clear" command.  Why won't Xilinx give us this command??

0 Kudos