cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sabraosn
Observer
Observer

Range of address space is set to a full 4G Warning when Creating and Packaging IP using tcl script

Hi All,

I have several AXI slave interfaces written in HDL and are inferred by Vivado when I use a tcl script to create and package the IP.

For example, multiples of the following

INFO: [IP_Flow 19-5107] Inferred bus interface 'S0_AXI' of definition 'xilinx.com:interface:aximm:1.0' (from Xilinx Repository).

I have 8 of such inferred AXI interfaces each using a 32-bit address so I get the following warning.

WARNING: [IP_Flow 19-3238] Range of address space is set to a full 4G (Address Block 'reg0' of Memory Map 'S0_AXI'). Consider reducing this by setting the range of the address block to a lower number, or alternatively reduce the number of bits on the address line in your HDL's top level file interface.

I know that through the GUI I'm able to modify this `range` parameter in the Memory Map and reduce it to 4KB, thus getting rid of the warning. I tested if the modification of range would yield a tcl command so that I can paste it to my tcl script and use it during IP packaging but it didn't result in one.

Screen Shot 2020-09-20 at 11.42.15 AM.png

I also know that if I create a block design I can use the `create_bd_addr_seg` tcl command and limit the range - but AFAIU this requires a block design to be open hence not available when we initially create and package an IP.

create_bd_addr_seg -range 0x00001000 -offset 0x48000000 [get_bd_addr_spaces unit1/M_AXI] [get_bd_addr_segs unit2/S0_AXI/reg0] SEG_S0_axi_reg0

Is there a tcl command that can be used to set a parameter during IP creation and packaging (AFAIU hence no block design) so that I can get rid of the address space warning?

Regards,

Sabra

3 Replies
Reto
Observer
Observer

Hi Sabra

I am experiencing exactly the same issue at the moment.
Did you find an answer?

Thank you
Kind regards
Reto

0 Kudos
anusheel

Hi @Reto and @sabraosn,

Can we not change the RTL which is the source of these warnings? 
Also, can you try to use set_msg_config if RTL cannot be changed: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2020_2/ug835-vivado-tcl-commands.pdf

Thanks
Anusheel 

Reto
Observer
Observer

Hi Anusheel
Thank you for your quick response.

By reducing the AXILite address size (was 32bit) to the minimal needed length (8 bit), the issue is solved.

0 Kudos