Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
so-lli1
Adventurer
Adventurer

Updatemem crash

Jump to solution

When I try to run updatemem either from within Vivado or from the shell, it crashes with the following error:

****** updatemem v2016.2 (64-bit)
  **** SW Build 1577090 on Thu Jun  2 16:32:35 MDT 2016
  **** IP Build 1577682 on Fri Jun  3 12:00:54 MDT 2016
    ** Copyright 1986-2016 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Sourcing tcl script '/mnt/xilinx/Vivado/2016.2/scripts/init.tcl'
invalid command name "enable_beta_device"
    while executing
"enable_beta_device"
    (file "/mnt/xilinx/Vivado/2016.2/scripts/init.tcl" line 1)
INFO: [Common 17-206] Exiting updatemem at Mon Dec 19 19:49:37 2016...
child process exited abnormally

init.tcl contains only the following two lines

enable_beta_device
if {[regexp {^2016\.[12].*} [version -short]]} { set_param bitgen.maxThreads 1 }

When I comment the commands within init.tcl out, everything works fine.

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pratham
Scholar
Scholar

@so-lli1  The root cause is updatemem utility source the init.tcl and fails as enable_beta_device is not a valid command for updatemem.

I will file a CR on this.

There is no other workaround other than the already proposed ones.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
austin
Scholar
Scholar

"Have you checked if the license for ES1 has expired? The early batch of ES1 licenses have an expiration of Sep-30. You may need to generate a new set ES1 licenses."

Already answered in an earlier thread, this may be your issue?

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
stephenm

I seen this too before. To WA I disabled the enable_beta_device in the init.tcl. Also, if I called the updatemem.bat (on windows) from the SDK install with the exec command, this worked for me too:

updatemem.png

0 Kudos
so-lli1
Adventurer
Adventurer

@austin: I do not have a separate license called ES1 in the license manager, only parts with this suffix, and they are not the ones which I try to run updatemem at. Could there still be a connection?

@stephenm: The problem is, that disabling the init.tcl commands is not an option for me, since we use multiple build machines. I need the root cause fixed. I also tried exec before, but with the exact same result.

Btw, it is not related to enable_beta_device. When I comment out this line, updatemem is complaining about the next line...

I will try to run the command on another working station today.

Is there a way to verify that the updatemem command worked?

0 Kudos
pratham
Scholar
Scholar

@so-lli1 Can you add the tcl catch statement for enable beta device? Catch would work for your flow and you don't need manually remove it.

-Pratham

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

0 Kudos
so-lli1
Adventurer
Adventurer

@pratham: If I understand you correct, then I would have to add this catch instruction within every init.tcl on all build machines. This is not really an option. Is there no way around this issue?

Tried it on another working machine, the error is reproducible.

0 Kudos
pratham
Scholar
Scholar

@so-lli1  The root cause is updatemem utility source the init.tcl and fails as enable_beta_device is not a valid command for updatemem.

I will file a CR on this.

There is no other workaround other than the already proposed ones.

-Pratham

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
so-lli1
Adventurer
Adventurer

@pratham: Thats what I thought. So I will have to live with the bugfix for now and hopefully this will be fixed in a future release.

Anyway, thank you.

0 Kudos
so-lli1
Adventurer
Adventurer
Still not working in Vivado 2016.4 toolchain.
0 Kudos