UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

Using Vivado TCL command show_schematic on the root of the design

Highlighted
Visitor

Using Vivado TCL command show_schematic on the root of the design

Problem

I was looking for a scriptable way to generate the top schematic after running a script.

I find it curious that show_schematic requires an object but no command will return the object for the root of the design. I expected either show_schematic with no argument (or the empty string {}) should show the schematic for the current instance (as reported by current_instance) when it is the root or there should be a command like get_cells / that returns an object for the root..

Solution

Hence, to view the top level of the design, UG835's entry for show_schematic indicates that the TCL command show_schematic [get_nets] is required. This works but seems counter-intuitive. Not to mention non-orthogonal when you consider that show_schematic [get_cells pcie_interface/transaction/ctr] would show the schematic for that instance path in the design. Meaning show_schematic [get_cells /] should work as expected to show the schematic for the top level (using a conventional indication of a solitary slash as the root.)

Questions

I have that now, yet my curiosity as to why get_cells / does not work as expected is unsatisfied.

Any thought leaders out there have an explanation of this (apparent) inconsistency?

What am I missing here?

Is there a subtlety to wanting all instances paths to be relative to avoid giving meaning to a leading slash?

Why doesn't show_schematic [current_instance] work when the current instance is the top of the netlist/design?

Postscript

For those reading this post, try

show_schematic [get_pins]
show_schematic [get_ports]
show_schematic [get_cells]

The first two produce surprisingly useful pictures. The last one appears to produce a schematic of the entire design. Yet, in some cases nets were not completely rendered and ports were missing!

ASPEN LOGIC, INC.
By: Timothy R Davis, President