Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hackl
Observer
Observer

Vivado GUI versus batch mode

Hello,

When running Vivado in GUI mode the output is unpredictable and warnings are generated in the GUI window that are not seen when the same TCL commands are entered in Vivado command line mode.

The command line mode executes and completes successfully - but in GUI mode the execution depends on quick/slow the TCL commands are entered.  I think it depends on the 'compile order' of the files since in GUI 'update compile_order -fileset sources_1' is output several times.

GUI mode:

When all the TCL commands are pasted into the command lines together, the GUI flow executes correctly. But when e.g. I wait after reading in all sources and constraints files (by TCL commans) and start elaboration after 'updating' has ended then it ends up with critical warnings and synthesis cannot be run.

What can be done to achieve reproducible & correct behavior in GUI mode ?

best regards

Heinz 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
chinmays
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @hackl,

What critical warnings/errors do you observe when you use GUI mode ? Please provide vivado.log generated after you observe the critical warnings. Also please provide the set of tcl commands or tcl file that you use to run the same flow in batch mode.

If you think that automatic update of compile order is causing the issue in gui mode, please try setting hierarchy update to: Automatic update, manual compile order.

Screenshot (39).png

~Chinmay

0 Kudos
hackl
Observer
Observer

Hi Chinmays,

thanks for your quick reply!

I re-tried both batch and gui flows using your advice and both flows did pass (incl. bitfile generation).

The only issue I can see now is that the messages in vivado.log does not match the messages in the Message folder (in the GUI).

The GUI message report a lot of critical warnings and normal warnings, however in the batch mode there are less warnings, infos and only 1 critical warning (for a non-clock pin used as clock input) 

0 Kudos
chinmays
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @hackl,

Messages in the message window could be from older run. Can you try deleting old messages and rerunning the flow? You can use "Trash icon" in message window for deleting old messages.

For synthesis and implementation runs info and critical warnings, refer to synth and impl runme.log, It can be found in directory similar to <project>.runs/synth_1 and <project>.runs/impl_1 respectively.

~Chinmay

0 Kudos
hackl
Observer
Observer

Hi Chinmay,

I always start Vivado from scratch with commands 

if {[get_projects] != ""} { close_project -delete }
  set PATHBASE [ file dirname [ file normalize [ info script ] ] ]
  create_project ${p} ${outputDir} -part xcku040-ffva1156-2-e -force

…...

After opening Vivado therefore no message window does exist and no trash is available. So there is no possibility to delete any old meassges.

Attached you can see the picture from the message window (after bitfile generation) where you can see 93 critical warnings.

However when grepping for critical warnings I cannot see any (see picture).

So there is seems to be no relation between log messages in the files  and the messages within the gui. This is confusing.

gui_critical_warnings_log.jpg
gui_message_window.jpg
0 Kudos