UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant pstarbitsim
Participant

running write_bd_layout in batch mode

I have a script I run in batch mode. As a part of this script I run write_bd_layout. When I wrote this (in GUI mode) it works like a charm, but in batch mode I get

WARNING: [BD 5-349] write_bd_layout failed. Please run the tool in GUI mode and try again.

Is this function limited to the GUI only (as it also has an option to save the current view)? In the documentation there is no reference to this behaviour. Also the warning is a bit too short, it does not tell me why it went wrong. Even when running with the verbose option Vivado does not tell me anything else, I still only get the above error, nothing more.

Is there a gap in documentation and is this function not intended for batch mode, or am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: running write_bd_layout in batch mode

Hi @pstarbitsim ,

Give it try with start_gui command adding in your script before adding source files? 

And then run write_bd_layout command and check if it works or not.

start_gui and stop_gui Tcl commands to open and close the Vivado IDE from the Tcl shell.

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Participant pstarbitsim
Participant

I'll give that a go, but wouldn't that kind of defeat purpose of running in batch mode. (Also the GUI is increadibly slow).

0 Kudos
Participant pstarbitsim
Participant

Yup, that works, but I see this as a workaround not a solution.

0 Kudos

Hi @pstarbitsim ,

Without opening the GUI i don't think you will able to see the layout. 

Hence, for certian period of time you can open the GUI in  batch mode and then close the GUI. 

This layout command mostly used for GUI mode ( project mode). 

Regards,
hemangd

Don't forget to give kudos and mark it as accepted solution if your issue gets resolved.
0 Kudos
Participant pstarbitsim
Participant

Yeah, but the thing is I don't want to see it now, but I might want to view the PDF later. But the answer seems to be that write_bd_layout (at least with target pdf) is a gui-only command. Would be nice if the warning would tell it a bit less polite and just say something like "sorry, this works only in the gui".

0 Kudos

Hi @pstarbitsim ,

>>Would be nice if the warning would tell it a bit less polite and just say something like "sorry, this works only in the gui".

I think the warning message it self the self-explanatory that it is mainly for GUI mode. 

Still as a workaround you can do start_gui temporarily and apply the command like write_bd_layout -format pdf -orientation landscape C:/Data/microblaze.pdf and  then stop_gui. 

The description of this command it self says that - Write the current open block design in the Vivado IP integrator to the specified file format.

Regards,
hemangd

0 Kudos
Participant pstarbitsim
Participant

It is possible (in fact I do that all the time) to open a block design in batch mode. The confusing thing is that the error message makes me expect more information when running in gui, but there it works as advertised. Neither documentation nor help tell about the command not working from batch mode. But my question is answered, it would be nice for the documentation and help info to reflect this behaviour.

0 Kudos