Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fpgalearner
Voyager
Voyager

2 Evaluation boards with one PC having Evaluation Licences for IP

Hi All,

Is it possible to run 2 Evaluation boards(KC705) with one PC?  The program has IP with evaluation licences. One board has TX part whereas another board has RX part of the program. In order to check the program, both have to work simultaneously.

Is it possible to do this with single PC or do I need separate PC for each board? 

Best Regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
vuppala
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @fpgalearner

You can use single PC to connect to two boards.

Follow these steps:

1. Connect two boards to PC with different JTAG cables.

2. Open a Vivado Hardware Manager and connect one board using first JTAG cable.

3. Open another Vivado Hardware Manager and connect other board.

While connecting the boards using Hardware Manager, you will have an option to select the cable (i.e., between 1st board and 2nd board). See snapshot below:

boards_select.png

Thanks,

Vinay

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.
fpgalearner
Voyager
Voyager

Hi,

Is it not possible to run 2 program in 2 separate SDK side by side by using two separte JTAG cable?

My program have 2 separate SDK (with corresponding 2 Vivado) for Tx and Rx.

I program successfully by choosing correct JTAG cable for each Tx and Rx but unfortunately I can only run Rx and not both. See below the SDK Log.

What is the setting that is required to also run both side by side on single PC?

RX that run:
After programming FPGA, SDK Log seen:
15:50:51 INFO : Connected to target on host '127.0.0.1' and port '3121'.
15:50:51 INFO : 'targets -set -filter {jtag_cable_name =~ "Digilent JTAG-SMT1 210203A0309FA" && level==0} -index 0' command is executed.
15:50:58 INFO : FPGA configured successfully with bitstream "C:/xapp1199/xapp1199_v1_2/kc705_smpte2022_56_rx/SW/SDK_Workspace/VoIP_Framework_RX_IOB_hw_platform_0/download.bit"
15:52:38 INFO : Processor reset is completed for microblaze_1

and run succesfully

Tx that doesn't run:

After programming FPGA, SDK Log seen:
15:55:09 INFO : Connected to target on host '127.0.0.1' and port '3121'.
15:55:09 INFO : 'targets -set -filter {jtag_cable_name =~ "Digilent JTAG-SMT1 210203A030CFA" && level==0} -index 0' command is executed.
15:55:16 INFO : FPGA configured successfully with bitstream "C:/xapp1199/xapp1199_v1_2/kc705_smpte2022_56_tx/SW/SDK_Workspace/VoIP_Framework_TX_IOB_hw_platform_0/download.bit"

and error during run:

15:56:03 ERROR : Unexpected error while issuing command {"command": "xfpga_isconfigured -cable type xilinx_tcf url TCP:127.0.0.1:3121 "} to XMD: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
15:56:03 ERROR : Checking FPGA configuration failed..
15:56:03 ERROR : Unexpected error while launching program.
com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.TMException:
at com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.internal.TM.isFPGAConfigured(TM.java:372)
at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.isFpgaConfigured(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:381)
at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.core.XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.launch(XilinxAppLaunchConfigurationDelegate.java:290)
at com.xilinx.sdk.debug.ui.XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.launch(XilinxAppLaunchDelegateWrapper.java:31)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:858)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:707)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin.buildAndLaunch(DebugUIPlugin.java:1018)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.ui.DebugUIPlugin$8.run(DebugUIPlugin.java:1222)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:53)
15:56:03 ERROR : Unexpected error while issuing command {"command": "xdisconnect 0"} to XMD: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset by peer: socket write error
15:56:03 ERROR : Disconnect target failed.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
ashishd
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @fpgalearner,

This seems to be possible from Vivado 2015.1. Please check this AR

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/64252.html

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
fpgalearner
Voyager
Voyager

Hi,

What mentioned here is 1 SDK with 2 devices. but my case is 2 SDK and 2 devices side by side on single PC. I am already using 2015.2 Vivado/SDK.

regards

0 Kudos
fpgalearner
Voyager
Voyager

Hi,

I just tried with 1 SDK and 2 devices. I can program both devices but I cannot run program on both devices simultaneously. This is what I am looking for. Does it mean with 1 SDK only one program can be run at a time? If I want to run 2 programs simultaneously, I must have to use separate PC for each device?

0 Kudos