UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor saksbala138
Visitor

ADC data post-processing using FPGA.

Hi,

My name is Sakkarapani Balagopal. I am mixed-signal designer. 

Recently, I have taped-out a high-speed delta-sigma ADC chip operating @ 640MHz. I am in the process of making a test board and develop a data grabbing procedue prior to design test board. I have intended to use FPGA to store the high-speed data (6-bit + clock CMOS/LVDS output) and later read the data through USB interface and post-process it in matlab.

There are plenty of FPGA avilable in market. But, I really have hard time choosing proper FPGA which can slove the issue. If anyone can advice me regarding this.That  will be great.Looking forward for your reply.

Thanks.

-Bala

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: ADC data post-processing using FPGA.

s,

I suggest Kintex 7.  Spartan 6, or Artix 7 may not be fast enough for easy use.

Rather than build a complete board, consider building a FMC board with your part, and plugging it into an existing board, such as a KC705 (Kintex 7 325T board).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Visitor saksbala138
Visitor

Hi Austin Lesea,

First of all, Thanks a lot for replying to the post.  Currently, I am looking into the available docs for Kintex7 (KC705 VC707 ) to understand how can I program th board to get the desired functionality. 

Also, when I discuss regarding this to lot of engineers/friends, they suggested me different ways to store and get the data to PC. Please feel free to correct me, If I am stating any funcitonality of FPGA in wrong way. I am pretty new to FPGA world.

Make a test board (ADC chip)  and connect it to KC705 using http://www.analog.com/en/evaluation/eval-adc-fmc-int/eb.html (as you mentioned).

Method 1 :  Implement a memory array  for required memory depth and asynchronous FIFO to store the data from test board into FIFO memory. Then implement UART to read the data at lower rate to PC (still I am not sure how data will be read into PC)

Method 2 : Use a LVDS Interface deserializer available on KC705/VC707 and store the data in BRAM and read it through PCIe similar to this (http://www.xilinx.com/publications/prod_mktg/Kintex-7-Product-Brief.pdf ; section MEDICAL: PORTABLE ULTRASOUND) . Still, I need to understand more on implemention part.

Can you please comment on this two methods? My understanding on above two methods are so vague. Any of your suggestions will be greatly helpful !!! Also If you can direct me where can I look for the information regarding this setup will be great.

Thanks.

-Balagopa Sakkarapani (Bala)

0 Kudos
Mentor awillen
Mentor

As for the UART: forget it, unless you have a lot of time on your hands (or very little data). Using a USB UART you can easily transmit ~100kbit/s. Given a 6-bit input signal @640MHz, it'll take 6*640e6/100e3=38400 times as long to transmit the data as it takes to record it, so you'll wait 10 hours for every second of input.

Does your ADC chip output data in DDR? If yes, you shouldn't have a problem using an Artix-7 device with speedgrade -1. Then you can use the ZC702 for $895 and send the data over Gigabit-Ethernet (6*640e6/1e9 = 3.84). If that is possible, it is probably the easiest and cheapest (both in terms of hardware and man-hours) solution.

If you data is in SDR, you could try the ZC706. If you need to send your data as fast as you sample it, PCIe is probably your best bet.

Please google your question before asking it.
If someone answers your question, mark the post with "Accept as solution". If you see a particularly good and informative post, consider giving it Kudos (the star on the left).
0 Kudos
Visitor saksbala138
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. No, My ADC output is SDR. 

I have few more questions regrading your advice.

1) Is there any GUI interface available with the board (ZC706) to use USB UART/PCIe?

Where can I find the document regarding this? 

Thanks.

-Bala

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@saksbala138 wrote:

1) Is there any GUI interface available with the board (ZC706) to use USB UART/PCIe?

Where can I find the document regarding this? 

GUI interface to use USB UART/PCIe? 

What are you talking about?

You can usually talk to a UART with a terminal emulator.

As for PCIe, the board has to enumerate as something, and the host has to have drivers to recognize it, and you have to have software to talk to the drivers.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor saksbala138
Visitor

Hi,

I am using FPGA for the first time. My understanding on FPGA is very poor.

I have this board "Xilinx Zynq-7000" available in my lab. I will try to implement the procedure and get your help as I move further.

Thanks for all your comments and advices,
-Bala
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@saksbala138 wrote:
Hi,

I am using FPGA for the first time. My understanding on FPGA is very poor.

I have this board "Xilinx Zynq-7000" available in my lab. I will try to implement the procedure and get your help as I move further.

Thanks for all your comments and advices,
-Bala

Consider contracting with an experienced FPGA professional to do this work. It is most certainly not trivial and it is not simple.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor saksbala138
Visitor

Yeah, If things don't work !!! I will be end up getting FPGA professional !!!

Thanks.
-Bala

0 Kudos