UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer sasisaketh
Observer

Can Zynq PL fabric clock be used to clock an external chip like Ethernet PHY ?

Hi,

I want to know the recommendation from XIlinx on whether the Zynq PL fabric clock be used to clock an external chip like Ethernet PHY ?. In my implementation i have used the IOPLL to generate PL fabric clocks namely FCLK0 and FCLK1. The FCLK1 is used as input to the Clocking Wizard and 4 output clocks have been derived. Can these four clocks be constrained to Zynq PL IOs as outputs and be used as clocks for four external chips respectively ?

Thanks,

Saketh

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Teacher drjohnsmith
Teacher

Re: Can Zynq PL fabric clock be used to clock an external chip like Ethernet PHY ?

depends what yo mean by PHY clock.

if its the 25 Mhz ref clock sort of thing into the PHY,

these normally have very tight tolerance requirements at the PHY

its very unlikely the Zynq output without lots of external circuit would meet the phy requirements.

If its a clock with data to the phy, then the zynq output is perfect.

a bit of a circuit and more information would be of use.

<== If this was helpful, please feel free to give Kudos, and close if it answers your question ==>
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer sasisaketh
Observer

Re: Can Zynq PL fabric clock be used to clock an external chip like Ethernet PHY ?

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, this is for the reference clock for PHY - DP83848-EP. The tolerances are indicated in the datasheet of the device.

The maximum acceptable ppm is +/-50 ppm and jitter of max 800 ps for 25 MHz clock source.

Regards,

Sasi

Tags (1)
0 Kudos