UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jgtimms
Visitor

Clocking DDR data into a FIFO in Spartan 6

Jump to solution

I would appreciate if someone could show\tell me how to implement something in ISE\Verilog. 

I want to bring the output of an ADC into a Spartan 6 and store it in a FIFO within the FPGA.  The problem I am having is the ADC output data is LVDS and DDR, i.e. new differential data is present and should be clocked into the FIFO on both edges of a 200MHz differential clock provided by the ADC.  How to I update the FIFO on both edges of this external differential clock?

I appreciate your assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Clocking DDR data into a FIFO in Spartan 6

Jump to solution

j,

This will be very difficult, as S6 is not very fast (it is designed for lowest power, lowest cost).  Even in Virtex, this may not be the best way to solve the problem.

Rather, I would store using edge data in one BRAM/FIFO, and falling edge data in another BRAM/FIFO.

Reading back out, I would use the dual port of the FIFO to read both even and odd on a new clock, which is rising edge for both, but half the speed.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

j,

This will be very difficult, as S6 is not very fast (it is designed for lowest power, lowest cost).  Even in Virtex, this may not be the best way to solve the problem.

Rather, I would store using edge data in one BRAM/FIFO, and falling edge data in another BRAM/FIFO.

Reading back out, I would use the dual port of the FIFO to read both even and odd on a new clock, which is rising edge for both, but half the speed.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

Why not just use the IDDR2 input registers to feed one FIFO that's twice as wide?

-- Gabor
Teacher eteam00
Teacher

Jump to solution

Spartan-6 is easily capable of handling 400MS/sec DDR data with a 200MHz clock.  There are many MANY examples of source-synchronous design problems similar to what you describe, in these forums, in the Spartan-6 device family docs (see the Clocking Resources User Guide), and in the Spartan-6 reference designs for the various evaluation boards.

-- Bob Elkind

SIGNATURE:
README for newbies is here: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/README-first-Help-for-new-users/td-p/219369

Summary:
1. Read the manual or user guide. Have you read the manual? Can you find the manual?
2. Search the forums (and search the web) for similar topics.
3. Do not post the same question on multiple forums.
4. Do not post a new topic or question on someone else's thread, start a new thread!
5. Students: Copying code is not the same as learning to design.
6 "It does not work" is not a question which can be answered. Provide useful details (with webpage, datasheet links, please).
7. You are not charged extra fees for comments in your code.
8. I am not paid for forum posts. If I write a good post, then I have been good for nothing.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@eteam00 wrote:

Spartan-6 is easily capable of handling 400MS/sec DDR data with a 200MHz clock.  There are many MANY examples of source-synchronous design problems similar to what you describe, in these forums, in the Spartan-6 device family docs (see the Clocking Resources User Guide), and in the Spartan-6 reference designs for the various evaluation boards.

-- Bob Elkind

The question is not whether the I/O can handle that speed; it's whether he can write to a BRAM or FIFO at that speed.

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Visitor jgtimms
Visitor

Jump to solution

This makes sense.  Thank you all.

0 Kudos