cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Does the RTL from vivado hls can be synthesis by Design Compiler ?

HI 

I have a question for vivado hls.

Is the  RTL gerenated from vivado hls  onyl for xilinx FPGA ?

Can we use it to be synthesied on Design Compiler?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Does the RTL from vivado hls can be synthesis by Design Compiler ?

@abayson Only For Xilinx Fpga Families.

-Pratham

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

When creating a new project in HLS, you specify the target device on which you will be using the resulting RTL. Therefore, in general, the RTL is to be used on Xilinx FPGA.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Thanks for your answer

That is my understand

If you only use simple logic in the source C code, the result RTL can synthesized on Design Compiler.

I try to write one Matrix Multiplication on C and put the RTL from vivado hls into synthesized. It is successful.

However, if your C is more complex, the RTL need use some specifical cell/logic which on FPGA.

This RTL can not be  synthesized.

Please correct me if my understand is wrong. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor
Advisor

As far as I know, it's largely generic Verilog/VHDL code. That includes RAMs and DSP slices; HLS just puts arrays or multiply symbols in the code and lets the main synthesis tool replace them with appropriate equivalents. The exceptions are obviously stuff included from Xilinx libraries, and AXI interfaces (HLS just leaves a tag that tells the main synthesis tool to put an AXI interface there; this allows the synthesis tool to customise the interface). Obviously the HLS resource usage estimates may be totally wrong if you use a different device, and it's likely that Xilinx's own synthesis tool is somewhat optimised for the (horrible) Verilog/VHDL that HLS outputs.

As far as I can remember, the license would allow you to use Design Compiler if you're building this for a Xilinx device. If you're aiming at an Altera device, then you're breaking the license agreement.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

The license agreement you accepted when you installed the software specifically prohits you from using the RTL for anything other than a Xilinx FGPA.

0 Kudos