Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tech4imaging
Visitor
Visitor

FPGA and Matlab

Jump to solution

Hello 

I am begineer to FPGA. I am using Nexys 4 Artix-7 board. It has USB-UART Bridge. I am interested in sending and reciveing data between FPGA and Matlab.

Please explain me, how can I connect FPGA to Matlab?

Thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
eilert
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

you need to implement some UART into your FPGA.

You find ready to use UART IPs either for standalone use or bundled with some processor core (Picoblaze, Microblaze MCS, etc).

From Matlab you are using some serial object to communicate with the serial port of your PC (COMn or /dev/ttySn).

You have to test the maximum Baudrate the system can acheive, so begin with something low (9600 Bd) to be on the save side.

No matter how good it will work, this solution will be far below to the maximum transferrate of a USB interface.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

You can use hardware cosimi if you are intrested in simulation, else you can generate HDL/NGC netlist and integrate the deisgn with ISE/ generate bitstream and run the Matlab deisgn in FPGA.

Please go through Sysgen user guide for more details on types of compilation and integration methodologies.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/sysgen_user.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vanitha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
tech4imaging
Visitor
Visitor
I want to send process data from FPGA to Matlab( PC). Data comes form analog circuitry then goes to FPGA for processing and then processed in MATLAB.
Please Help How can I connect FPGA with PC with USB-UART bridge.

Thanks
0 Kudos
vsrunga
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

HI,

I think  Xilinx do not have hardware to support USB for Mtalab.

http://www.mathworks.in/products/instrument/supported/usb.html

But standalone Xilinx FPGA evaluation boards have the USB-UART bridge support/designs.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp794-1080p60-camera.pdf

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Vanitha.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please do google search before posting, you may find relavant information.
Mark the post - "Accept as solution" and give kudos if information provided is helpful and reply oriented
0 Kudos
eilert
Teacher
Teacher

Hi,

you need to implement some UART into your FPGA.

You find ready to use UART IPs either for standalone use or bundled with some processor core (Picoblaze, Microblaze MCS, etc).

From Matlab you are using some serial object to communicate with the serial port of your PC (COMn or /dev/ttySn).

You have to test the maximum Baudrate the system can acheive, so begin with something low (9600 Bd) to be on the save side.

No matter how good it will work, this solution will be far below to the maximum transferrate of a USB interface.

Have a nice synthesis

Eilert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos