UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant gtushar
Participant

How do I enable the PCS functionality of GTX - 7 series FPGA

I am using a Kintex - 7 series FPGA, in which my current design has a ten-gig-eth PCS block along with GTX transceiver from Coregen.

I want to put the PCS block inside the GTX i.e., the GTX should take care of the PCS functionality so that I can free some LUTs (currently used by PCS) for other logic. How can I do that ?

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: How do I enable the PCS functionality of GTX - 7 series FPGA

Hello @gtushar,

If I understood it correctly, you are trying to put shared logic in core instead of example design (where it gets implemented in FPGA fabric). If this is correct, then you have option of selecting this while customizing GT wizard. 

Please check attached snapshot.

Regards,
Ashish
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GT.PNG
0 Kudos
Participant gtushar
Participant

Hi @ashishd

No, actually this will only encrypt the shared logic and put it inside the core. This won't effect the LUT utilization. I want to reduce the LUT utilization currently taken up by the PCS logic.

At present, PCS block is instantiated inside the GTX as a separate module. I want the functionality of PCS logic to be taken care by the GTX itself. So that I can get some free area in the FPGA.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello @gtushar,

At present, PCS block is instantiated inside the GTX as a separate module

--> Can you please let us know name of this module which you are referring to?

Regards,
Ashish
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Participant gtushar
Participant

Hi @ashishd

Actually I am using Xilinx 14.7 right now. And it generates the file name as ten_gig_eth_pcs.vhd instantiated under ten_gig_eth_pcs_block.vhd

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

The pcs logic is part of the ngc file delivered with the core in ISE and there is no way you can separate the PCS logic from the core and implement this in the Transceiver.

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos