cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor
Visitor

How does Timing Constraints editor recognize clocks in a design?

Jump to solution

Hi there,

For example in a code, some inputs are mentioned as clock signals and we can apply period constraints on them. But apart from them, sometimes the constraint editor also shows some other signals in the list of unconstrained clocks.

So, my doubt is how does the Timing Constraints editor recognize clocks in a design?

Is it enough if period constraint is applied only on those signals listed as unconstrained clocks in the editor?

How to be sure if one has covered all the paths between synchronous elements in a design?

Thanks.

Capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @such_06

The constraints editor will treat all the signals driving the sequential elements' clock input as clocks. Please check the technology schematic (post-synthesis view of the design) and look for the signals of interest. Make sure that they don't drive any clock input ports/pins. I strongly believe they would be driving the clock pins.

You should also check for unintended latches. You should get warnings if a latch is inferred. The Gate input of a transparent latch is considered a "clock" by the tools.

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.
Give kudos in case a post in case it guided to the solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @such_06

The constraints editor will treat all the signals driving the sequential elements' clock input as clocks. Please check the technology schematic (post-synthesis view of the design) and look for the signals of interest. Make sure that they don't drive any clock input ports/pins. I strongly believe they would be driving the clock pins.

You should also check for unintended latches. You should get warnings if a latch is inferred. The Gate input of a transparent latch is considered a "clock" by the tools.

Thanks,Vijay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped resolve your query.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @such_06

Did my last post answered your query?

Thanks,Vijay
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

I checked the technology schematic and found that the signals drive clock pin of flip flops. The signals are derived from one of the main clocks.

This is a cpld(xc95288xl) based design. I related the two clocks as shown in the screenshot and in the timing report I saw that the constraint was met. I tried to use below syntax to relate them.

NET "Timing/Q_counter_s<2>" TNM_NET = Timing/Q_counter_s<2>;
TIMESPEC TS_Timing_Q_counter_s_2 = PERIOD "Timing/Q_counter_s<2>" TS_CLK_20kHz_ip/2 HIGH 50%;

But I got an error as shown in the screenshot. So, I wanted to know what is the correct way to relate clocks in this case?

Thanks.

Capture7.JPG
Capture6.JPG
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @such_06

Good to see that your query is answered.Close the thread by marking the solution in the interest of other users.

Can you please create a new thread for the follow-up query?

Thanks,Vijay
0 Kudos
Visitor
Visitor

Sure. I will post a separate query for that. Thanks.

0 Kudos