UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor rjohn
Visitor

How to connect XCF32P in Xilinx Platform Studio

Hi 

I have a query regarding which hardware peripheral to use in Xilinx Platform Studio (v 14.4)  to connect the XCF32P Platform flash which is connected in Master Serial Mode? I am using a virtex5 fpga (xc5vfx70t) with an embedded Power PC processor. 

I want to implement an srec bootloader, I did this successfully before with a XCF128 Platform flash XL using the xps_mch_emc component . But that is for a BPI flash so didn't think I could use it. 

I looked at the xps_spi component but the signals and settings don't seem to correspond to the Platform flash signals.

Which IP is the correct one to use?

Thanks in advance for the help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: How to connect XCF32P in Xilinx Platform Studio

Hi,

I am using a Xilinx XCF32P Platform Flash with a Virtex 5 Board by Avnet. I am using it to implement the bootloader and the component I use in XPS is  the xps_mch_emc.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ignacio.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Visitor rjohn
Visitor

Hello

Thanks for your reply. My confusion is what signals on the Flash device correspond to the xps_mch_emc peripheral. When I looked at the datasheet for XCF128 I could see which signals to connect in the xps_mch_emc device.

On the XCF32P device, I have D0 connected to Din on the FPGA (D1 to D7 are not connected). There are no address lines on this flash device like for the XCF128 device. 

CF' is connected to FPGA PROGRAM_B, CE' to FPGA_DONE, OE/RESET' to FPGA INIT_B and CLK to FPGA CCLK.

If you don't mind, could you please tell me how you connect the signals in XPS?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hello,

This is the table wich shows the conections between the Flash memory and my FPGA in my board (Avnet Virtex 5 LX110) (it may vary on yours).

vx5flash.PNG

An these are the conections in my ".ucf":

NET "Inst_uB_processor/fpga_0_FLASH_32Mx8_Mem_DQ_pin[7]" LOC = AA14;
NET "Inst_uB_processor/fpga_0_FLASH_32Mx8_Mem_DQ_pin[6]" LOC = AA13;
NET "Inst_uB_processor/fpga_0_FLASH_32Mx8_Mem_DQ_pin[5]" LOC = AB11;
NET "Inst_uB_processor/fpga_0_FLASH_32Mx8_Mem_DQ_pin[4]" LOC = AA12;
NET "Inst_uB_processor/fpga_0_FLASH_32Mx8_Mem_DQ_pin[3]" LOC = AB14;
NET "Inst_uB_processor/fpga_0_FLASH_32Mx8_Mem_DQ_pin[2]" LOC = AA15;
NET "Inst_uB_processor/fpga_0_FLASH_32Mx8_Mem_DQ_pin[1]" LOC = Y13;
NET "Inst_uB_processor/fpga_0_FLASH_32Mx8_Mem_DQ_pin[0]" LOC = Y12;

By the way, what board are you using? Conections are done automaticly when you specify the board on XPS.

Regards,

Ignacio.

0 Kudos
Visitor rjohn
Visitor

Hi

I think your flash is connected differently to mine. My XCF32P device is connected to my Virtex 5 fpga like figure 2.1 in UG161 and also figure 1 in ds123. I am using a custom board and my XPS design is a sub module in my ISE design so my connections aren't automatic. 

Thanks for your help though, will keep looking.

Regds

0 Kudos