Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robstewartuk
Observer
Observer

How to interpret resource utilisation numbers from Xilinx ISE

Hi,

I'm new to FPGA programming. I have a design in VHDL, in Xilinx ISE. My synthesis results include: FF, LUT, memory LUT, I/O, BRAM, DSP48, BUFG.

I'd really appreciate pointers to documents and resources that will help me interpret what the numbers next to each utlised resource mean? Specificaly: 1) what do each of them mean?, 2) are they explicitly used in th VHDL code, or has ISE chosen (e.g. the number of DSP48s) the resources to implement my design?, and 3) if my design is above 100% resource utilisation, how can I change my VHDL code to reduce the use of each resource in turn?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
yenigal
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi

1.The numbers indicate total number of each type of resource (LUT,BRAM...) needed to implement  your logic.

2.You can either use the DSP48 primitives directly in the code by instantiation and the tool will also infer and use the DSP48 blocks automatically base on your logic.

3.It depends on which kind of resources that are over utilized...BRAM,DSP48 blocks can be implemented in the LUT andd FF logic resources

Regards,

Satish

--------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful.
--------------------------------------------------​-------------------------------------------
0 Kudos