Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Input slew rate setting issue

Jump to solution

Hello,

Xilinx ISE : 14.4
Device: Spartan 6 (xc6slx9-2ftg256)

I am facing issue with ISE 14.4 for input SLEW RATE settings.

If we try to set the slew rate on input pin through PIN PLANNER GUI (Scrool Tab), GUI is not allowing to do so which is correct (As show in snapshot 1).

But, if we go to next section of GUI as shown in [snapshot 2] (IO property block) and modified input slew rate setting (Showing in Snapshot 3), it reflects in the .UCF file (Snapshot 4)  and passes all theprocess (Translate, MAP and PAR) without any warnings or errors.

This behaviour of tool is incorrect becuase as per my understanding we cannot set the slew rate on input pins.

Kindly provide me the information rather thats the tool issue or we can change the input slew rate.

Tags (2)
Snapshot 1 .png
Snapshot 2.png
Snapshot 3.png
Snapshot 4.png
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

Re: Input slew rate setting issue

Jump to solution

@siddesh.botadra wrote:

Hello bassman59

As per my understanding from below wiki article, slew rate is only applicable to the output pins of any device (in our case it is FPGA). 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slew_rate

Input pin does't care about slew rate. So here issue Xilinx ISE tool does't allow to set slew on input pin (through GUI in snapshot 1) but it do accept slew rate setting through .ucf and IO propertry editor which wrong.

Also tool does't give any warning to user regarding the input slew rate.

So, what's the problem? The setting is simply ignored. Anyone who understands electronics realizes that slew rate for an input is meaningless.

Although I have no idea what the tools with do with a specific slew rate setting for an input, because I've never done it. Maybe a warning?

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

ummm, THINK for ONE MINUTE on why you cannot set a slew rate constraint for an INPUT.

Go ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hello bassman59

As per my understanding from below wiki article, slew rate is only applicable to the output pins of any device (in our case it is FPGA). 

Input pin does't care about slew rate. So here issue Xilinx ISE tool does't allow to set slew on input pin (through GUI in snapshot 1) but it do accept slew rate setting through .ucf and IO propertry editor which wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

@siddesh.botadra wrote:

Hello bassman59

So, what's the problem? The setting is simply ignored. Anyone who understands electronics realizes that slew rate for an input is meaningless.

Although I have no idea what the tools with do with a specific slew rate setting for an input, because I've never done it. Maybe a warning?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos