Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Installation and Setup OpenCV

Jump to solution

Hey guys, 

First off, thanks for taking the time to read this and answer my questions. I am really new to hardware design / any hardware more complex than an Arduino...

I have a ZC702 evaluation kit (http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/EK-Z7-ZC702-G.htm) and I've managed to follow all of the documentation regarding how to test the board, connect to the UART, boot the included Linux, etc. 

I noticed that the DVD that came with the kit was outdated, so I downloaded the new versions of ISE and Vivado.

I want to begin using HLS and OpenCV. I've downloaded the demo application (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/application_notes/xapp1167.zip) and am looking through it's readme.

Here is my question: I can't tell from the documentation what the Vivado suite provides for me versus the ISE suite (and yes I saw the comparison chart, but it didn't REALLY tell me anything). Can anyone give me a quick run-down on these two suites and when to use what for what? Any specific information will be greatly appreciated.

I apologize for the newbie question, I just need to get off the groud. Thanks

-aclark

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
  1. I wouldn't say Vivado is a "rewritten" ISE. The only commonality between them is they are for Xilinx FPGA design and implementation. Everything else (design flow, methodology, features) is different and better in Vivado. If you are new to Xilinx FPGA, I would highly recommend you start with Vivado as newer devices will be ONLY supported in Vivado. This way you don't need to learn two tools.
  2. There are plenty of examples and documents to get you started with implementing Zynq designs in Vivado and IPI (IP Integrator). Give them a try and let's know how it works.
  3. You will need to install the full Vivado Design Suite to install HLS, so you might as well give both a try.

@aclark wrote:

austin,

Thanks for the clarification and the help. I will marked this solved and conclude the following information:

1) Vivado is a new rewritten ISE.

2) I should stick to the version that came with my kit

3) HLS can be used WITHOUT Vivado

Thanks again, and have a good one

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

a,

First, the DVD and the license is for the demo kit.  All designs should be done with the version you received.

Unlike software tools, upgrading means many thing are instantly broken, and you don't have licences:  DON'T DO THAT!

Once you have everything working, and everything is wonderful, THEN you may consider upgrading.

ISE is the old platform, and Vivado is the newest.  Zynq is only RIGHT THIS MOMENT supported in Vivado, so unless you love to find new bugs, I would also not move to Vivado (as well as for all the reasons stated above).

Vivado is a clean, complete, rewrite, and will be much faster, smoother, and more controllable (TCL scripts, etc.) but until you are need the new features, it isn't ime to switch.

As I have said before, tools get frozen for the entire duration of a project in the real world:  they are placed under ECO control (if you value your ISO 9001 certification).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

As a software engineer (not computer engineer), this advice is helpful! I figured having the newest version here would avoid the infamous "is it updated?" question. Anyways ...

I primarily need HLS support. Would you recommend I use Vivado to use the HLS? Or can this be done via ISE? I've only ever seen HLS paired with Vivado. 

Again, thanks for the advice. I will take all I can get. 

-aclar

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

a,

Yes, Vivado HLS may be used as a standalone to create verilog or VHDL from a c function.

That RTL code may be then imported back into ISE as a source.

This hybrid of tools is what was the norm, before Zynq came out with 100% support in Vivado.

Again, if you got a kit recently, you have DVD's which are meant to go with that kit (including a Vivado DVD).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

austin,

Thanks for the clarification and the help. I will marked this solved and conclude the following information:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee
  1. I wouldn't say Vivado is a "rewritten" ISE. The only commonality between them is they are for Xilinx FPGA design and implementation. Everything else (design flow, methodology, features) is different and better in Vivado. If you are new to Xilinx FPGA, I would highly recommend you start with Vivado as newer devices will be ONLY supported in Vivado. This way you don't need to learn two tools.
  2. There are plenty of examples and documents to get you started with implementing Zynq designs in Vivado and IPI (IP Integrator). Give them a try and let's know how it works.
  3. You will need to install the full Vivado Design Suite to install HLS, so you might as well give both a try.

@aclark wrote:

austin,

Cheers,
Jim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

ywu,

Thanks for the clarification and advice. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos