cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legacy support/conversion with Vivado 2017.1

Jump to solution

Just downloaded and installed the latest Vivado release to update my tool set (temporary eval license) going forward.  I have several legacy ISE designs that I still need to support, but the new Vivado install does not appear to know how to convert xise files per the user manual docs, now does it appear to know about any pre-V7 components.

I have an old version of ISE currently installed and running on my system to access the old designs, but was hoping to upgrade. What am I missing here?  What version of Vivado do I need to support legacy Virtex-5 or ISE designs?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

It is possible to import ISE projects into Vivado. However, this is only possible for those parts that are supported for both tools, which are a subset of the 7 series devices

- anything before is ISE only

- anything after is Vivado only

So, if you have an (earlier) 7 series design implemented in ISE, you can import the ISE project into Vivado. The GUI (including the opening splash page) has undergone a redesign in 2017.1, but the import ISE project is still there. From the splash page select "Create Project >", click next, enter the location and name of the new project, and then, on the next page select "Imported Project"

ImportISE.gif

Avrum

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Guide
Guide

Vivado does not (nor will it) support any architecture before the 7 series devices. For anything earlier (Spartan-3,6, Virtex-2,4,5,6) you will need to continue to use ISE. The latest (and last) version of ISE is 14.7.

Avrum

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks - - but wish I had read more of the marketing details on Vivado before downloading the 20G thinking it was a good migration path forward for me.  Reading the "ISE migration guide" seemed to indicate it was possible to migrate ISE designs to Vivado to get the latest capabilities in synthesis, etc.

As a follow-up, my install of the latest 2017.1 release does not provide the menu options to import/convert ISE project files as specifically described in the ISE migration UG doc installed with the update.  Is that because its only running a 30-day eval license?

If so, (rhetorical question) why would I want to buy a license for a tool that I can't evaluate to see if it will actually do what I need to do with my legacy designs?

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Guide
Guide

It is possible to import ISE projects into Vivado. However, this is only possible for those parts that are supported for both tools, which are a subset of the 7 series devices

- anything before is ISE only

- anything after is Vivado only

So, if you have an (earlier) 7 series design implemented in ISE, you can import the ISE project into Vivado. The GUI (including the opening splash page) has undergone a redesign in 2017.1, but the import ISE project is still there. From the splash page select "Create Project >", click next, enter the location and name of the new project, and then, on the next page select "Imported Project"

ImportISE.gif

Avrum

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Thank you much - very helpful!
0 Kudos