Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Problem using "Add source"

Jump to solution

Hi all!

If I try to use "Add source..." ISE unexpectingly closes, at least, if I use the 64 bit version. If I use the 32 bit version (which allowed me to install the licenses) it will not crash, however, it simply asks for a .vdl file. This is not the right way to open IP cores, now is it?

What do I do to make it work, so that I can properly use "Add source" in ISE.

I did a fresh install of 64 bit Windows 8.1. I did a fresh install of ISE 14.7. I am trying to create my first project for the Spartan 6.

I do not know where to look for a crashdump. I could not find any in the directory the Xilinx tools are installed in.

Please don't tell me I need to reinstall everything again!

Best regards,

Robin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Problem using "Add source"

Jump to solution
Hi Robin,

Check this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPbEcNjdo8

It may help you.

Thanks,
Vinay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi Robin,

i suspect the issue is due to using ISE on windows8.

Windows8 is not supported OS with ISE

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

hi,

please refer following document to clear all doubts about installation of ISE

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/irn.pdf

Thanks

Shreyas

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try to search answer for your issue in forums or xilinx user guides before you post a new thread.

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided solves your query.
Give Kudos (star provided in right) to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution
Hi Robin,

Check this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttPbEcNjdo8

It may help you.

Thanks,
Vinay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you tried typing your question in Google? If not you should before posting. Also, MARK this is as an answer in case it helped resolve your query/issue.Give kudos to the post that helped you to find the solution.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

Check below link

http://www.xilinx.com/images/tools/ise_support_lg.GIF

Thanks,
Anusheel
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Search for documents related to your device and tool before posting query.
Search related forums and make sure your query is not repeated.

Please mark the post as an answer "Accept as solution" in case it helped to resolve your query.
Give kudos for accepted solution.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Jump to solution

Hi Vinay and Manusha, Shreyas and Anusheel

That video link is excellent!

It said the following:

"Rename libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig, and copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll. Do this in: C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64 C:\Xilinx\14.5\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64 (copy dll from first location) This turns off SmartHeap. This will fix ISE and iMPACT crashes on file dialogs. This information was found from another thread, thank you howardp from Xilinx in this thread:
http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/crawl_message?board.id=DEENBD&message.id=1732"

I read 14.7 where it stated 14.5

So that worked VERY well against crashing. ISE is now working fine. Thank you very much!

Thanks to the help of the others in this thread I realize now that ISE is not supposed to work on Windows 8. But thanks to Vinay, I got lucky!

At least, now ISE still asks for a source file, and does not start IP browser, but I recogn that is normal behaviour?

Thanks!

Robin

0 Kudos