UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor diptyajit
Visitor

Query regarding xilinx license structure

Jump to solution

Hello, I am a student trying to setup a xilinx workspace. Essentially I am working with

1. ISE 14.3 on Ubuntu 12.04 Linux (Status : System edition Installed and running)

2. ML507 kit (Startup demo programs have been run by inserting the CF card and powering the board on)

3. A LogiCore Pcie blk plus (Status: License purchased and activated)

I can use 'xst' and 'ngdbuild' succesfully, but the toolchain stops at the 'map' step. It gives an error

ERROR:Security:12 - No 'xc5vfx70t' feature version 2012.10 was available (-15)

I think this means that the tool chain has not found the ml507 board as part of its license. If I am correct in this assumption, I have two questions :

1. Where exactly does the xilinx tool decide that it will support bitstream generation for a particular kit ? Is this controlled by the ISE suite ? 

2. How can I get this particular license ? I have been to the Product licensing page but I see no signs for any kits 

I have read the new user's directives by Bob Elkind and I have spent the last three days on google and these forums, but I dont have a solution.

--Dip

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor diptyajit
Visitor

Re: Query regarding xilinx license structure

Jump to solution

This has been solved. It was an issue of the actual location of the license file

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Instructor
Instructor

Jump to solution

You must have some license to get as far as you have.  If you're using a Webpack

license, then it probably doesn't support the larger members of the Virtex 5 family

(I seem to remember that the XC5VLX50[T] was the largest size supported by WebPack).

If your kit was delivered with a device-locked license, you should have received something

that allows you to register and receive a full Logic or Embedded edition license that

only works for the particular device on your board (plus any WebPack parts for the

Logic side of it).

I'm running Windows, so I'm not sure if there is a license manager delivered with

the Xilinx tools for Linux.  On Windows it shows up in the start menu as

"Manage Xilinx Licenses" pointing to:

<install_dir>/ISE_DS/common/bin/nt/xlcm.exe -manage

so you might want to see if you have a similar executable in your distribution that

could help in debugging the license issue.

-- Gabor
Visitor diptyajit
Visitor

Jump to solution

I did run xlcm on linux and then xinfo, I am attaching the output from xinfo to shed light on this. I am pretty sure its not a Webpack because several ip cores have "Bought" written beside them.

0 Kudos
Scholar austin
Scholar

Jump to solution

As a student,

Your professor has all the licenses through the Xilinx University program (XUP).

You should not need to ask anyone other than they.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
Visitor diptyajit
Visitor

Jump to solution

The board I am working on is not from the university but in a company I am doing my thesis in. And it is my duty as an intern here to fix my computer problems :) 

As far as I know the company has a full fledged system edition license of ISE, but since this suggestion has come up, how can I check if the license I am trying is actually a Webpack ? Is there some info on the xinfo.txt ? I have seen this suggestion made by mod anatoli in this open thread

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Installation-and-Licensing/ERROR-Map-258-A-problem-was-encountered-attempting-to-get-the/td-p/205679

--Dip

0 Kudos
Visitor diptyajit
Visitor

Jump to solution

This has been solved. It was an issue of the actual location of the license file

0 Kudos