UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor tombalabomba
Visitor

SDK 2016.3 launch fails on xubuntu 16.4

Hi folks!

I installed SDK 2016 on Xubuntu 16.4 LTS. Since I didn't encounter any problems I expected SDK to launch properly. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

When I run the xsdk command, I get following output but the SDK doesn't launch.

****** Xilinx Software Development Kit
****** SDK v2016.3 (64-bit)
**** SW Build 1682563 on Mon Oct 10 19:07:26 MDT 2016
** Copyright 1986-2016 Xilinx, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Launching SDK with command /opt/Xilinx/SDK/2016.3/eclipse/lnx64.o/eclipse -vmargs -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false

So I ran /opt/Xilinx/SDK/2016.3/eclipse/lnx64.o/eclipse -vmargs -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false manually.

At first glance this seems to work, but after choosing the workspace an error window (see attachment) pops up claiming:

An internal error occurred during: "Initializing s/w repositories".
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError

So, essentially I have two problems. The first is how to get SDK launched by running just xsdk command.

The second is how to get rid of this java error.

Any help is kindly appreciated. Thanx!

SDK_error.png
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: SDK 2016.3 launch fails on xubuntu 16.4

If you look at the command line that actually gets executed to start the SDK version of eclipse, it includes arguments to point to your Vivado projects, for example my projects are in /home/fullbandwidth/project_1 (Ubuntu 16.04)

/opt/Xilinx/SDK/2016.4/eclipse/lnx64.o/eclipse -data /home/fullbandwidth/project_1/project_1.sdk -vmargs -Dcom.xilinx.sdk.args.hwspec=/home/fullbandwidth/project_1/project_1.sdk/design_1_wrapper.hdf -Xms64m -Xmx512m -Dorg.

eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false

so that should solve your first problem ... however I am also getting the java ExceptionInInitialzerError. Did you get anywhere solving that one? I found some quasi-related posts about exporting SWT_GTK3=0 and unset GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID, tried both of those, still getting the java error.

Thanks for any insights!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Here's the abbreviated java stack dump from the log:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2016-12-30 16:29:19.465
!MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Initializing s/w repositories".
!STACK 0
java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
    at com.xilinx.sdk.sw.SwDbUtils.getReposMan(SwDbUtils.java:67)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.startup.InitSDK$10.run(InitSDK.java:414)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.xilinx.sdk.sw.internal.SwReposMan.<init>(SwReposMan.java:75)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.sw.SwDbUtils$SwReposManHolder.<clinit>(SwDbUtils.java:54)
    ... 3 more

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

/opt/Xilinx/SK/2016.2/settings64.sh 

Do you have this file? 

You can source it and then 

export SWT_GTK3=0

might solve the problem

Visitor alk415
Visitor

Did anyone ever figure out the solution to this problem? I get the s/w repo init errors & error log on a Windows 10 build. I've reinstalled twice now ("downgrading" to the WebPack in the latter install) to no avail. It's very strange since Ive been successfully using the SDK for the past month and this fatal error came out of nowhere.

I noticed also that the SDK fails to launch the XCST server. Is this unrelated or is the process of initializing the s/w repositories predicated on using the XSCT? When I try to run the XSCT.bat, I get the error that rdI_xsct.exe does not exist. Sure enough, when I go to look for it, it does not.

0 Kudos
Visitor mthorpx
Visitor

I get a very similar problem when trying to launch SDK.

I have tried it on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and 16.04 LTS.

I have tried multiple versions of Vivado / SDK - 2015.4, 2016.2

Whenever I launch SDK it hangs with message "Initializing s/w repositories", and eventually returns the message below.

Vivado seems to run OK.

Is there something silly I've missed when installing Vivado / SDK?

Any ideas appreciated.

16:08:36 INFO    : Launching XSDB server: xsdb -n /home/martint/progs/SDK/2015.4/scripts/xsdb/xsdb/xsdb-server.tcl
16:11:36 ERROR    : Timed out. 180 seconds have elapsed while waiting for XSDB server to launch.
16:11:36 ERROR    : Failed to call init_repo
java.lang.Exception: java.lang.Error: Channel is waiting for Hello message
    at org.eclipse.tcf.core.Command.<init>(Command.java:83)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.xsdb.XSDBCommandManager$8.<init>(XSDBCommandManager.java:384)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.xsdb.XSDBCommandManager.issueTcfCmd(XSDBCommandManager.java:384)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.xsdb.XSDBCommandManager.access$4(XSDBCommandManager.java:381)
    at com.xilinx.sdk.xsdb.XSDBCommandManager$7.run(XSDBCommandManager.java:376)
    at org.eclipse.tcf.EventQueue.run(EventQueue.java:95)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Caused by: java.lang.Error: Channel is waiting for Hello message
    at org.eclipse.tcf.core.AbstractChannel.sendCommand(AbstractChannel.java:874)
16:11:36 ERROR    : Exception rasied in executing the command =Failed to call init_repo
16:11:36 INFO    : Processing command line option -hwspec /home/martint/martin_work/picozed_sdr/hello_world_2/project_1/project_1.sdk/Zynq_design_1_wrapper.hdf.
16:11:36 ERROR    : Failed to openhw "/home/martint/martin_work/picozed_sdr/hello_world_2/project_1/project_1.sdk/Zynq_design_1_wrapper_hw_platform_0/system.hdf"
    at com.xilinx.sdk.xsdb.XSDBCommandManager.issueTcfCmd(XSDBCommandManager.java:384)
16:11:36 ERROR    : Failed to openhw "/home/martint/martin_work/picozed_sdr/hello_world_2/project_1/project_1.sdk/Zynq_design_1_wrapper_hw_platform_0/system.hdf"

Also:

Unable to create the selected preference page.
Could not initialize class com.xilinx.sdk.sw.SwDbUtils$SwReposManHolder

And Xilinx Tools / Repositories shows:

"An error has occurred when creating this preference page."

0 Kudos
Visitor mthorpx
Visitor

This is a solution for my own post above. (SDK hangs on "Initializing s/w repositories")

This problem also affected 2016.4 on my machine (well every version I tried actually).

I have no idea which of these steps actually fixed the problem, but here is what I did to fix it for me.

Install Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
Install Vivado / SDK
Update Ubuntu (click on about this computer and then click update)

Install these packages:

sudo apt-get install libncurses5-dev

sudo apt-get install lib32z1

sudo apt-get install lib32ncurses5

sudo apt-get install lib32bz2-1.0

These are documented here : https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/PC-with-Ubuntu-14-04-64bit-SDK-2015-1-fails-to-compile-make/td-p/596893

Install these packages:
sudo apt-get install libstdc++6:i386
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-0:i386
sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev:i386

These are documented here : https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/Ubuntu-14-04-Xilinx-SDK-2014-4-error-127-libstdc-so-6/td-p/569360

Then do an Ubuntu update (click on about this computer and then click update).

Then it seemed to work.

0 Kudos