UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

SDK help with generating .bit that contains both software and hardware components

Jump to solution

I have a project that utilizes a reference design.  I have built the project in Vivado and have exported the project to SDK.  I have also imported an archive file into the SDK project.  This is where the instructions for my reference design stop.  I do not know what I need to do now to compile a .bit file that contains the software and hardware components.  My design uses the MicroBlaze and a few other components on a FMC board.  I am using the KC705 development board.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Explorer
Explorer

Re: SDK help with generating .bit that contains both software and hardware components

Jump to solution

Hello schumerth,

with SDK you will generate a ".elf" file, which is your program for MicroBlaze. Then, to generate the .bit file including the software, you will have to get back to Vivado, right click in your block design and select "Associate .elf Files..."

If the program generated in SDK is to be executed in the On Chip Memory it will run from the moment you upload it, but if it's to be executed from external memory, it will not work because the memory must be loaded. For such kind of situation you will need a bootloader that picks the program from persistent memory and put it on the RAM first, an then makes the processor's program counter to jump to the RAM position in which the program starts. The memory from which the program executes is indicated in the "linker script".

Regards,

Ignacio.

View solution in original post

Tags (3)
2 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: SDK help with generating .bit that contains both software and hardware components

Jump to solution

Hello schumerth,

with SDK you will generate a ".elf" file, which is your program for MicroBlaze. Then, to generate the .bit file including the software, you will have to get back to Vivado, right click in your block design and select "Associate .elf Files..."

If the program generated in SDK is to be executed in the On Chip Memory it will run from the moment you upload it, but if it's to be executed from external memory, it will not work because the memory must be loaded. For such kind of situation you will need a bootloader that picks the program from persistent memory and put it on the RAM first, an then makes the processor's program counter to jump to the RAM position in which the program starts. The memory from which the program executes is indicated in the "linker script".

Regards,

Ignacio.

View solution in original post

Tags (3)
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thank you for reply.  Your explanation was extremly helpful.

0 Kudos