cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Spartan 6 interfacing with lime microsystem LMS6002D

Dear Sir,

I got project to design a transceiver using LMS6002D, I have two choice one Davinci + PHY and other Spartan 6 with PHY +MAC (KSZ8851 from M/s. Micrel). So I prefer using Spartan 6, But don't know which will best suitable for my application. I need to just interface Ethernet data and send to air and vice versa.

So please give best suggestion using spartan 6 + KSZ 8851 along with the schematics diagrams.

Thanks

Lathoi

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Spartan 6 interfacing with lime microsystem LMS6002D

Lathoi,

The LIME board looks very capable, but it is only going to get your signals from the antenna, down to bits, and from bits, back to the antenna.

You will need a lot of DSP functions, such as managing the channel (setting the frequencies, the power level, perhaps controlling the AGC).  You will need to choose how to modulate and demodulate your data, QAM, 16QAM, 256QAM, or some other format.  You will need to provide the proper digital filters.

Then, you need to frame the data so that you can recover it, and know when it has errors, and perhaps implement a forward error correcting coder, and decoder.  and you will need to do rate conversion, as your Ethernet bits per second is unlikely to be the same as the RF channel bits per second.  Clock recovery for bit, symbol, and frame will all be needed.

The Ethernet side is easier, as the demo boards have the Ethernet interface, so you may just copy those schematics, and the layouts from those demo boards.

This is quite a sophisticated project.  Good luck.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Re: Spartan 6 interfacing with lime microsystem LMS6002D

Hello Lathoi,

Hopefully this doesn't sound too much like a marketing plug, but I can't help but respond because we have a product that integrates the Lime chip with Spartan-6 LX45 plus OMAP processor.  The Lime chip is an impressive RF front-end, and pairing it with FPGA, CPU, and DSP creates a very capable hand-held SDR.

I'll keep the details short here, but take a look at the Matchstiq on our web-site: http://epiqsolutions.com/matchstiq/

Good luck with your project,

Mike Shogren

Director of FPGA Development

Epiq Solutions

0 Kudos