UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor user64
Visitor

Support for Windows 8 Software Vivado 2013.2

Please tell me whether the Windows 8 software Vivado 2013.2?

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: Support for Windows 8 Software Vivado 2013.2

Hi,

For Vivado, we are looking at support for Windows 8, but no decision has been made to this point.

Thanks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Windows 8 is not planned to be supported until at least 2014. The roadmap for full support will be driven by customer adoption.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Windows-8 based ISE/Vivado tools are not yet released officially from Xilinx. Hope future versions could support in future.

FYI: The below forum link has lot of dicussions about windows-8 support

http://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/board/crawl_message?board.id=INSTALLBD&message.id=3590

Please mark this post as an "Accept as solution" in case if it helped to resolve your query. So that it will help to other forum users to directly refer to the answer.

Give kudos to this post in case if you think the information is useful and reply oriented.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor accuvein
Visitor

I am a Vivado System customer and I use Windows 8. So I vote that you support me.

0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@accuvein wrote:

I am a Vivado System customer and I use Windows 8. So I vote that you support me.

I'm a long-time Xilinx customer and I use Mac OS X. So I vote that you support me, too!

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

I'm a long-time Xilinx customer and I use Mac OS X. So I vote that you support me, too!

I think that's an unreasonable response to someone asking for windows 8.x support. Supporting Mac OSX which is a completely foreign OS is orders of more complicated than supporting the next version of windows which has only minor differences. Most of the existing windows programs working on windows 7 work on windows 8.

- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Historian
Historian

@muzaffer wrote:

I think that's an unreasonable response to someone asking for windows 8.x support. Supporting Mac OSX which is a completely foreign OS is orders of more complicated than supporting the next version of windows which has only minor differences. Most of the existing windows programs working on windows 7 work on windows 8.

Well, that's true ... 

But then again, remember that the Xilinx tools run on Linux, and there's a translation layer between the Linux stuff and the Windows stuff. Going to OS X should be easier than going to Windows.

And I bet it's this translation layer that is at issue with getting the tools to run under Windows 8.

-a

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Newbie jhawson

> Windows 8 is not planned to be supported until at least 2014.

> The roadmap for full support will be driven by customer adoption.

Well, here's another vote to prioritize Windows 8 support. Use of Xilinx tools recently became a necessity for me, and it seems I will have to create a Windows 7 partition for this purpose. It's an unwelcome hassle.

Speaking as a software developer, my understanding is that the differences between Windows 7 and Windows 8 for desktop applications are pretty minor. It would seem like a small and worthwihle investment to keep up with new Windows versions.  Even if you don't "officially" support Windows 8, it would be helpful to fix some of the more glaring bugs that customers have reported over the past year.

0 Kudos