Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Trying to Run Simple ISIM Simulation Using ISE Project Navigator

Hey there,

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to run a simple simulation using the ISE project navigator. I'm basically just trying to understand the design flow of these tools. So far, I've generated a microblaze core in EDK, created a simple "Hello World" program using SDK, and ran that program on hardware using my XUPV5-LX110T board in SDK.

Now, what I want to do is use ISE Project Navigator to simulate this program (not on hardware) using ISIM and see the waveforms. I basically want to see the individual "Hello World" characters being sent over the PLB bus to the UART module in my design. However, I'm having some trouble with this.

I have both the .xmp system file and .elf program file added to my project in the ISE Project Navigator, but I can't get the program to simulate correctly (or at least, I don't think I can--maybe I'm not running the simulation long enough, but I'm not sure).

What are my xmp/elf file assocaitions supposed to be? According to this thread (http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/ISIM-HDL-sim-of-microblaze-system-VHDL-simulation-hangs/td-p/234632), I'm supposed to leave the MicroBlaze system associated with bootloop. However when I do that, the instruction_addr just loops over 0x00000000, 0x00000004, and 0x00000008 forever.

When I associate the Microblaze system with the .elf file, the instruction address stays at 0x00000000 for a while then it goes to 0x00000004, 0x00000008, 0x0000000c, 0x90000000 (I beleive this is where the program is located in memory), but then it just stays stuck at 0x90000004 forever.

According to dissassembling the program at addresses 0x90000000 and 0x90000004 when I run the design on hardware in SDK, these should be the instuctions "imm -28672; addik r13, r0, 2464" or "0xb0009000, 0x31a009a0". I definitely see the "0xb0009000", but then the program never increments, and I don't know why.

Is there something else I'm missing or forgot to do prior to simulation? 

Also, I'm using ISE Design Suite 13.1.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

No one's responded, so I'll just keep on updating you with my progress on this problem.

I found another thread which seemed to have a similar problem:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/iSim-simulation-over-XPS/td-p/256858

It seems like the solution is to change the linker script so that the entire program is put in BRAM as opposed to DRAM or whatever.

I tried to do that, but the BRAMs I have in my design don't have enough space in them. I changed the capacity from 4K to 64K, but now, I get the following error when I try to export to SDK (the warnings seem to be harmless):

FATAL_ERROR:MapHelpers:basmpreport.c:214:1.18 - Not able to add errors to file
'system_map.mrp'. Process will terminate. For technical support on this
issue, please open a WebCase with this project attached at
http://www.xilinx.com/support.

Design Summary
--------------
Number of errors : 1
Number of warnings : 67
ERROR:Xflow - Program map returned error code -1073741819. Aborting flow
execution...
make: *** [__xps/system_routed] Error 1
Done!

I found another thread with a person who has almost the exact same problem:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Implementation/MAP-Can-not-add-errors-to-file-Map-Fails/td-p/132472

I have no clue what to do to fix this. Help, please.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Historian
Historian

@twomack wrote:

No one's responded,

Well, here in the colonies, most of us celebrate the changing of the calendar by, among other things, not working ;)

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

So I did a little more experimentation, and it pretty much seems like whenever I change the design and try to update the bitstream, I run into that "FATAL_ERROR:MapHelpers:basmpreport.c:214:1.18 - Not able to add errors to file" issue.

The response by a Xilinx employee in the previous link to another topics says that its a network/disk space/lock issue. I don't think it's a network or disk space issue, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing that or what to check to fix it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello, 

The FATAL ERRORs are thrown when the tool come across unexpected behavoir in the code or project management situations  such as not having enough permissions of the particular file/folder/directory etc...

In these kind of situations tool will try its best to resolve the issue if it is not able to do that, it will throw  FATAL ERROR like this. 

--Venkat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If the FATAL ERRORs are thrown in the Synthesis stage, review the source code and change it accordingly so that error is gone..

If the FATAL ERRORs are thrown in the Project Management stage, Please check permissions of the directory/file/folder etc 

--Venkat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

@venkate wrote:

If the FATAL ERRORs are thrown in the Synthesis stage, review the source code and change it accordingly so that error is gone..

If the FATAL ERRORs are thrown in the Project Management stage, Please check permissions of the directory/file/folder etc 

I checked the permissions and it still fails.

I took ownership (already had).

I added full access for my user (I already had this)

What else needs to be done for this to work?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

0 Kudos